First the court decision on snowmobiles, now this, hopefully mercury emissions next. Maybe Shrub et al will begin to realize that their systematic efforts to reward their patrons in the polluting industries at the expense of the environment and the health of the American people is becoming a bit too obvious with these court decisions. 2004 is an election year after all, people might start to notice.
From the NYT:
Court Blocks Easing of E.P.A. Rules on Industrial Pollution
By JENNIFER 8. LEE
Published: December 24, 2003
ASHINGTON, Dec. 24 — Bush administration efforts to loosen regulations on older coal-burning power plants were dealt a setback today when the District Court of Appeals here blocked the changes from taking effect on Friday.
The court said that the more than dozen states and cities and environmental advocacy groups that filed a legal challenge to the new administration rules had a sound chance of winning their case.
The Environmental Protection Agency expressed disappointment with the court's decision but did not say whether it would be appealed.
The court order, while only two pages in length, was a strong statement in one of the most contentious environmental and public health battles of the last several years — whether aging coal-fired power plants must install controls as they increase their pollution emissions. The Environmental Protection Agency has estimated that full enforcement of existing rules on power plant pollution would save 19,000 lives per year.
The court order, issued by a three-judge panel, said that the plaintiffs had demonstrated "likelihood of success" and "irreparable harm" if the regulations were to take effect — a rebuke to the White House assertion that an overhaul of the Clean Air Act through regulatory reform would have environmental benefits. The utility industry has been pushing for such an overhaul to strengthen its footing against legal actions and to foster a more stable business environment.
States and environmental advocates said the intervention by the court showed the weakness of the Bush administration's stance. "This is an enormously important victory that halts the Bush administration efforts to eviscerate the Clean Air Act," the New York State attorney general, Eliot Spitzer, said. "Piece by piece, the Bush administration has been undercutting meaningful enforcement of the Clean Air Act. The D.C. court has said it can do so no longer."
The Environmental Protection Agency proposed the rules last December; the states and environmental advocacy groups filed suit shortly after the rules were finalized in October.
The three judges in today's ruling — Harry Edwards, Judith Rogers, and David S. Tatel — were appointed by Democratic presidents but have regularly voted to uphold other administrative decisions made by the Bush administration.
Scott Segal, a lobbyist with the Electric Reliability Coordination Council, an industry group founded in part to push for the changes in what is called New Source Review section of the Clean Air Act, described the court's action as "a setback."
"This stay motion and litigation undermines certainty for consumers and the regulated community," Mr. Segal said.
The E.P.A. statement today said that "the New Source Review rule was intended to clarify the process for maintaining and operating a facility."
"The new N.S.R. rule increases the reliability, efficiency and safety of industrial and power plants," it continued. "The new rule does not allow power plants to increase their emissions past their current Clean Air Act limits. In fact, this rule will have little or no impact on emissions."
The long battle over power plant regulations intensified in 1999, when the Clinton administration and states began suing power companies under New Source Review, which was then a little-used section of the Clear Air Act.
Under that section, coal-burning power plants that had been grandfathered-in were exempt from pollution controls as long as they only underwent "routine maintenance," rather than major modifications.
The states and the Clinton administration charged that the power companies had been making major modifications without installing controls. The one case that made its way through the court system ended in a ruling against the power company, FirstEnergy.
The states that originally filed the cases were Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Wisconsin. A number of cities, including New York City, Washington, San Francisco, also joined in the case.
Bookmarks