Check Out Our Shop

1Up EZer Pull mod.

Got a bud with a 3D printer. Showed him the one issue in an otherwise awesome product. That hard-to-reach pull handle (impossible-to-reach for my 5'-0" wife)
    He got creative and came up with this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240405_132750 Sm.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	493615

Name:	20240405_132906.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	697.2 KB 
ID:	493616

Easy one hand operation, unlike the 1UP EZ Pull.
    He's working on a less clunky cable attachment.
    Would Mags pay in the $40-$50 range for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Maybe? A crimped loop seems like it would be an easier less bulky option (although require you to crimp it yourself)

Seems similar to my experimental option with a wood dowel and some spyderline.

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	340.0 KB 
ID:	493617

I never experimented further because it mostly worked, but the ultimate goal was to replace the cordage with some bare dyneema, splice the loops around the release bar, replace the dowel with a chunk of a broken black ski pole (maybe even a carbon one!), and figure out a slightly better handle attachment (maybe some bungies).

I like the idea of the 3d printed end guides. The middle guides are probably unnecessary--sure the wire might abrade the aluminum over time, but you're only moving the wire an inch or so and not that often...and the aluminum is very thick. Or just use dyneema which will give you almost as little stretch and smoother glide.

Could maybe send 2 chunks of dyneema with spliced ends and instructions to cow-hitch to the bar and then tie stopper knots (or use a screw attachment) on the handle end.

Anything is better than that stupid EZPull

I was iffy on the idea of a cable system because I thought it would be floppy and difficult to get even tension.
    The side plates make it nice and solid. He gets bonus points for using brake cables.

I just tied a piece of 5mm accessory cord to the bar, ran it through the threaded holes at the outer edge of the rack and then back to the bar. The cord tends to get frayed every few years but it works well enough.

Your version looks much better though!

If he dials in a system that works I’d be interested. I have a 3 bike 1Up and agree the EZ pull kinda sucks

I've got a 2 bike 1up, but periodically add a 3rd and sometimes a 4th. Any handle that doesn't allow easily adding the additional trays is a no go for me, thus no interest in the EZ Pull.
    I might be interested if the $50 bucks got me more than a PVC pipe and some black plastic instead of the green stuff.
    Clean that thing up and make a mini TGR go-fund-me.
    However many are in a shit ton.

I’m working on a similar idea but using 3/8 aluminum rod and a stock handle. Similar to the official version but handle under the end cap not over for easier 1 hand use.
    Parts are on order, I’ll post pics when it’s done. Probably more expensive than the cable version but should look a bit more polished. Also planning to use some red Loctite on the nuts holding my support plat as an anti theft measure for the extra tray.

1Up EZer Pull mod.

I have the equip D version, so not familiar with the EZ pull add on.

Can someone who has experience with it explain why an alternative design is better?

My first thought would be to use a rod, like some galvanized all thread but that seems like it’d be similar to their existing product.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    My first thought would be to use a rod, like some galvanized all thread but that seems like it’d be similar to their existing product.
    My plan was pretty similar. Basically copy the EZ-Pull design.
    He did this on his own and it worked really well, I like it more because, with the 1Up design, the pull handle extends behind the frame. You need to pull the release out with one hand while picking up the frame with the other.
    This way you just squeeze the handle and frame together and pull up. It really works nice and clean, and is almost completely hidden and protected.

I don't think its worth $50 but agree the orig 1up is a terrible design. Just got a 1UP and definitely disappointed by the handle (requires 2 hands) and the locking mechanism (screw) that gets jammed if too tight.

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    and the locking mechanism (screw) that gets jammed if too tight.

FWIW, I almost never use the screw and I've yet to have a problem. I'll tighten it down (if I remember) if I know I'm going to be on something super bumpy, but it is hard to imagine it failing. The spring on the latch is pretty strong and the latch binds up if there's any force on it. Also, I'd guess that the failure mode is not totally catastrophic on a 2-bike rack? Rack would drop into the lower position and start dragging/banging into the road...but bikes should stay attached to the car and you'd notice pretty damn quick.

That said, here's a dashcam view of it failing: https://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comment...o_thread_down/
    ...but the bike was fine (and people in the comments note that it looks like it was never fully seated to begin with)

What's funny is that I never knew that knob was to lock the tilt assy. In 10 years, I've never used it.
    Obviously never needed to.

Someone on FB is selling something like this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4766908130916/

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Someone on FB is selling something like this:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4766908130916/
    Oh fuck, that’s genius

1Up EZer Pull mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    What's funny is that I never knew that knob was to lock the tilt assy. In 10 years, I've never used it.
    Obviously never needed to.
    X2
    X3
    X4
    X5
    1, 2, 3, and 4 bikes on 4 different 1up racks over maybe 100k miles. No rack fails.
    If they offered the same rack for $40 less without the screw thing I’d pick that next time.

Damn, that is really slick.

I think I'd still prefer a squeeze action hidden inside the rack frame, but the twist action gives you a lot of leverage for overcoming the binding on the release and ensure you pull both sides evenly.

My wife struggled with the experimental version I posted above because
    1. You had to make sure you pulled on it in a way that released both sides of the bar.
    2. Even with no bikes on the rack, sometimes there's too much binding force and you have to jiggle the rack up or down a bit to release the bar.

I'm a little skeptical of 3d printed items that will live out in the elements and have to withstand a decent amount of force...but for $35 for a 2-bike it is not a huge risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post

Name:	20240405_132750 Sm.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	493615
    What's that pewter grey bit bolted between your trays for?

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    What's that pewter grey bit bolted between your trays for?
    With two Evils, a 6' chain isn't long enough to loop through the frames and under any section of the rack. That Evil shock linkage forces the chain too high.
    I welded up a 1" square tube and drilled and threaded the rack to accept security bolts to tie it all in place. It's now a nice easy loop to lock to.

Just now seeing this. Sick addition. Looks slick.