Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coastal Sonoma county beta needed it

We are interested in spending a week or two on the beach in Sonoma county. We are thinking of going in September. although Stilson beach and the area near tamales appears to be really cool with a Cape Cod type vibe we really can stay anywhere between there and Sea Ranch. Taking the dogs. Any beta or knowledge of the area will be helpful and is appreciated
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

My memories of the Sonoma Coast are that about 90% of it has no beach and Bodega Bay is pretty much the only place to buy groceries or have a choice of restaurants. Good seafood in Bodega Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    We are interested in spending a week or two on the beach in Sonoma county. We are thinking of going in September. although Stilson beach and the area near tamales appears to be really cool with a Cape Cod type vibe we really can stay anywhere between there and Sea Ranch. Taking the dogs. Any beta or knowledge of the area will be helpful and is appreciated
    Stinson Beach, Tomales Bay. Yes to those, spend the week exploring Point Reyes National Seashore/Marin Headlands and Mount Tamalpais. Beautiful country and September is prime time. Don’t miss the Palomarin/Coastal Trail at the south end of Point Reyes just outside Bolinas. Follows coastal bluffs and passes a few coastal lakes and end on the beach near Alamere Falls that cascades right onto the beach. Follow the beach north under the cliffs and there are several small falls that come right off the overhanging cliffs.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Walk Point Reyes, taste pinots at Littorai, follow the Russian River, lunch in Jenner, stay at Timber Cove Rsort, taste pinots at Hirsch (if you can find them up Bohan Dillon road).
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Grew up nearby and visit regularly.
    - If you are at all a climber and can bring along some shoes, Sunset Boulders at Goat Rock beach is pretty fun. https://www.mountainproject.com/area...unset-boulders
    - An under the radar nice eatery nearby is Rivers End https://ilovesunsets.com/jenner-ca-restaurant
    - Also there is the Russian River estuary. Great place to kayak. I've never rented there but this place rents and has tours https://www.watertreks.com/
    - If you want to take a beach break and see some forest, going inland a bit to Armstrong Redwoods is super cool https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=450
    - Similarly all the west-county stuff slightly inland is nice and also often overlooked (Freestone, Occidental, Graton, Sebastopol)
    - Bodega is always nice. The Tides Warf and Restaurant is good.
    Farther North, Fort Ross is cool to see and Salt Point State Park is also cool with some interesting sandstone formations. Timber Cove resort is super nice. I've never stayed there but my family who still lives north of Santa Rosa stayed there for a week after they had to evac for the Tubbs Fire and had a good time (I mean besides worrying if their house had burned down - it didn't).
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Be sure to confirm dog friendliness. Many state park beaches are very restrictive for dogs.

That's all good info. Thanks! We will be driving in from SLC, and probably stopping one night in the mountains along the way. I will look forward to checking out the recommendations above. I have a friend in Yountville who we will visit at some point. Otherwise, I hope to do a little exploring, maybe do a little fishing, and eat good seafood. I am very much interested in the vibe of the area. So far as lodging goes, we will probably rent a house. Regarding the dog, I'm sure that I will find places to exercise her and get her in the water.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 05-06-2024 at 05:27 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

St Orres is an inn with cottages, dog friendly, great restaurant, near Gualala. We spent our first anniversary there. (Caveat, that's the last time we were there and we're coming up on 41st). Our favorite beach is nearby--Stump Beach and the trails along the bluffs and tide pools south of the beach. No dogs although I'm not sure there would be any enforcement as there is no gate and parking is free pull in. Some of the beaches along the sonoma coast are dogs allowed. The state beach at Stinson Beach is no dogs. Dogs are allowed on the beach in front of the private houses, if you can find a place to park. You can access that section of beach off the little access roads for the private houses.

That looks nice. Menu looks good, too. I dislike the restrictions placed upon the dogs though. Not that they are unreasonable for this type establishment. I will consider this. However, right now, I am considering a house with a private yard near Bodega Bay. I like the idea of having a kitchen and walk outside to surf fish, kayak and/or go for a run/swim with the dog on a beach.

It’s been a few years, but sea ranch was dog friendly.

The restaurant at St. Orres is great. Never stayed there, but it looks like it might be cool. For myself, I’d be looking to stay nearer to the south end of the Sonoma coast because there are more restaurants and stuff and it’s not too far to drive north to explore.

Might be just me, but I think Sea Ranch is kind of a weird place.

Up near Gualala, Bowling Ball beach is pretty cool at low tide.
    https://www.californiabeaches.com/be...ng-ball-beach/

A good friend lives in Timber Cove with two dogs that he walks everyday. He said this about dogs on beaches:

Goat Rock Beach in Jenner. Cooks Beach in Gualala. And a handful of random beaches. Basically anything that is not a State Park or private property. Sea Ranch beaches are leash only, although I have let the dogs run there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Might be just me, but I think Sea Ranch is kind of a weird place.
    It’s not just you. I think it’s a bit odd, too. Does not feel like a town or even a suburb neighborhood. But I’ve found cheap rentals on the coastal bluff area a few times and the beaches were dog friendly (we unleashed our hound there).

I had a coworker that lived in Inverness for maybe 15 years. He and his family loved it. The only reason they moved was cuz their kid entered HS and they wanted to live closer to their peers and their school.

There’s a bioluminescent plankton kayak tour out of Marshall that can be cool with a new moon. https://www.bluewaterskayaking.com

I should be around and surf that stretch of coast on a regular basis, happy to point you in the right direction or show you around to the best of my ability.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Thanks, mang! I'll reach out when the time is ripe

Charter fishing still available out of Bodega Bay?

I've always enjoyed our visits at the Sea Ranch, we would rent a house there at least once a year for a week when Abalone diving was open. The place pretty much forces you to not do anything but stare at the ocean and enjoy the surroundings, because that's about all there is to do there, which I don't have a problem with.

Coastal Sonoma county beta needed it

Some great cheese in Sonoma. Check out the cheese trail

https://www.cheesetrail.org

Been surfing the web, and speaking to people to get info. Mendocino must also be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Been surfing the web, and speaking to people to get info. Mendocino must also be considered.
    Yeah, just be ready for tourism. But it needs to be checked out.

Also…https://www.russianriverbrewing.com/our-brews/

We try to get up to Mendocino. My hobby is woodworking and there's a famous woodworking school up there so the galleries have some cool furniture.

I learned the hard way not to camp near a bunch of ab divers beating their meat all night. Fortunately the fishery is closed for a while.

Big River beach and Caspar beach are dog friendly. Jug handle is cool. Fort Bragg is a relatively big town.