Check Out Our Shop
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    2013-2016 Cayenne turbo diesel. 406 ft-lbs torque with no tune, 750 mile range on a tank, 35 mpg, handles/brakes like a sports car, rock solid at 100 mph, great seats, German build quality (2019+ Cayennes are built in Slovakia not Germany anymore) on par with a 200 series Land Cruiser (actually uses the same Aisin transmission as the LC and uses the bomber Audi torsen differential (unlike other 2nd gen Cayennes that had transfer cases problems). Great off road people overland these. Get one now,, it’s a future classic like the 80/100 series LC.

The GX/4Runner is a great platform but not particularly big on the inside. The Wrangler is smaller yet and questions about build quality are fair. Both have solid rear axles but I wouldn't let that hang me up. The QX80 has more space but it's a Japanese Chrysler. I like the look of the V8-era LR4 but wouldn't choose it over other brands. Some of that is lack of platform familiarity. Agree with considering the Sequoia. Add GMT800 platform if used. New Tahoes offer an off-roady trim.

Have you driven any of the vehicles in your list? It seems like going from the capacity of a van to anything else will be a big adjustment.

Lexus GX or Land Cruiser from a soccer mom. Echoing several posters.
    Toyota reliability.

Transit Connect is an absolute piece of shit. So funny you’ve been off-roading it. Have you killed your girlfriend yet and left her in the forest?
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

X6 or whatever for a lexus gx. Buddy has an older model that's lifted a bit and has a non-stock bumper. Seems like it could get through some rough terrain. Fairly nice inside, and he paid less for it than an equivalent 4runner would've cost.

The Ineos is an overpriced vanity vehicle who's off road tech doesn't come close to matching best in class from Jeep, Toyota and others. For posers.

Oh, and the most important advice I can give you is to buy what you want. In my opinion there are lemons and good ones out there for every brand and model, and you absolutely should not base decisions on experiences from a handful of people - it's not statistically representative. A car is more about what makes you feel good and less about buying the best rated thing in consumer reports. If the car is perfect but doesn't make you stoked every time you get into it you'll eventually resent it. If the car breaks a lot, drives kinda crappy, has old tech and is awkward inside, but you just love it for some reason, it'll still be your dream car.

If you want a disco then you should probably just buy a disco. You'll probably love the thing.

I owned a Disco for 15 years and put well over 120K on it. Other than expected maintenance, it was only on a tow truck once, for a CPS.

Here's my take.....

If you want something reliable and capable, Toyota/Lexus. GX or 4 Runner. They'll never give you that "fizz" though and are about as exciting as using a marzipan dildo.

If you want something easy and cheap to fix, full size American. I'm partial to the Tahoe. I've had each and every generation and they're excellent vehicles. They do what they say on the box, but you'll look like every other soccer mom. Independent rear suspension didn't appear until 2022. It appeared much earlier in the Expedition.

If you want something that's full of all the things, fun to drive on and off road and makes you feel like a baller, German. Warn your wallet though, or do what I did, and get an extended warranty.

If you want something that's uncomfortable and unreliable, get a modern Wrangler. Mines a bit older so it only has one of these fine qualities. Interior space is shit and it rides like a school bus but you can take the doors and roof off, which feels like being able to walk around the grocery store with only your socks on. I think someone mentioned a Grand Cherokee, not sure why you'd want something as unreliable as anything from the new FCA, AND as boring as a Toyota.

But seriously, after having one for almost two decades, get the Rover. I've never felt so special as when I was sitting in that old ass Discovery. IFKYK. And fuck those people who tell you they're unreliable. Nothing is "reliable" anymore. This isn't 1976. Cars are complicated, people are stupid. It's not a winning combination.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Ineos Grenadier.

I've now seen them in person and they are legit. They've had some bugs but seem to have been pretty agile in manufacturing in order to alleviate them on the fly.

The drive train is proven and the ret if it is about as mechanically simple as it can get.

I'm not about to buy one but I'm impressed. And you can hose them out.

Sent from my SM-S928U1 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    The Ineos is an overpriced vanity vehicle who's off road tech doesn't come close to matching best in class from Jeep, Toyota and others. For posers.

Oh, and the most important advice I can give you is to buy what you want. In my opinion there are lemons and good ones out there for every brand and model, and you absolutely should not base decisions on experiences from a handful of people - it's not statistically representative. A car is more about what makes you feel good and less about buying the best rated thing in consumer reports. If the car is perfect but doesn't make you stoked every time you get into it you'll eventually resent it. If the car breaks a lot, drives kinda crappy, has old tech and is awkward inside, but you just love it for some reason, it'll still be your dream car.

If you want a disco then you should probably just buy a disco. You'll probably love the thing.
    I pass the same 3-4 Ineoses on my morning commute, one in my son's carpool lane. They absolutely strike me as a fashionable flex for the guys who didn't want to pay $70K for a restored 1995 D90 and this is their way of standing out. I am confused by the 4 rooftop handles on the safari top, those would have been a lot cooler if they were D90 wagon style windows instead.

Also, some maggot here did a really cool build on a GX, even replacing the head unit with a really cool custom job, anyone remember who that was?
    I still call it The Jake.

I always wanted a Defender 110. I knew that it would leak oil, rattle and be in the shop at least 1 week/month, but they sure did look cool. My brother had a Defender 90. It was a great vehicle to cruise the sand in Palm Beach and Martin Counties, but what a piece of shit. Oil and transmission leaks, underpowered engine....but everyone loved to play with it
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I had a Disco Series II that was a leaking from every possible source and electrical nightmare. I got rid of it at 50k miles after a very short ownership. That said, I absolutely loved that thing. Hunter green with tan leather interior, V8, oozed class. I always wanted (and still do) a 1997 red with white top D90 wagon, but since that will likely never happen I have to fondly look back on that Disco as my sole Rover experience.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    You guys are going to obscure corners of CL/FB in non mountainous states to find GX that aren't insanely expensive for their age, correct?

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I may be buried in my FJ cruiser with dual tanks. It may be too small for you though. I'd take it over my wife's new Denali Yukon.

Other than that I would do the GX like the others have stated if I was on a budget.

Proving the old adage "to each their own," I think GXs are hideous, especially the front end, and could never drive one. It's almost like there is a reason that so many different makes and models have enough sales to keep going. Like different people have different tastes or something.

Of course, my taste is the correct taste, just so we're clear, and all your tastes are simply wrong. It's not your fault. You don't know any better.

exciting as using a marzipan dildo
    This is my flex. I'm looking for a <$15k midsize SUV to keep the miles of my work truck and road trip in. Need to me able to comfortably sleep inside. The more invisible the better. No Subaru's or Toyotas.

Sante Fe
    Sorrento
    Escape
    Edge
    Equinox
    Explorer

What rules this class as boring AF 'getters?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This is my flex. I'm looking for a <$15k midsize SUV to keep the miles of my work truck and road trip in. Need to me able to comfortably sleep inside. The more invisible the better. No Subaru's or Toyotas.

Sante Fe
    Sorrento
    Escape
    Edge
    Equinox
    Explorer

AWD minivan with a baby on board sticker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Proving the old adage "to each their own," I think GXs are hideous, especially the front end, and could never drive one. It's almost like there is a reason that so many different makes and models have enough sales to keep going. Like different people have different tastes or something.

Of course, my taste is the correct taste, just so we're clear, and all your tastes are simply wrong. It's not your fault. You don't know any better.
    I value build quality and reliability, if I'm gonna spend real money on a vehicle (daily driver, not a toy). If those things don't matter, Land Rover makes many vehicles, many of which are quite inexpensive on the used market. Or perhaps a diesel Jaguar crossover?

The Lexus GX would be better if it looked better and had a lift gate instead of the side swinging rear door. That makes it a 4Runner. It'd also be nice if it got better MPG than a Suburban.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Sante Fe
    Sorrento
    Escape
    Edge
    Equinox
    Explorer

Pontiak Aztec with the factory tent option.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    AWD minivan with a baby on board sticker.
    Too expensive.

How about a leased Land Rover so somebody else pays to keep it running ?

Or something with a toyota badge on it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    You're right. I should add the Sequoia to the watch list. I probably wouldn't stretch the budget for it though, just because it is so inefficient. Not so much because of the coat of fuel, just because if I'm spending a decent amount, I want to keep it for 10-15 years and so I want it to be at least reasonably efficient. Totally a mental block rather than a financial calculation.

Thanks!
    Well, the Sequoia will cost you a lot less in maintenance over 10-15 years vs some of the other suggestions, so there's that angle on "efficiency". I agree with all of the people suggesting LexusGX/LX/4Runner/Landcruiser/etc. They are all very reliable, and I for one enjoy driving my apparent marzipan dildo. They all suck at MPG, and it's really a question of price point and storage space and interior finish. I like teh Sequoia over those other options because relatively speaking they are less popular which means relatively cheaper, and I like having all the extra space inside. 4Runners aren't small, but they don't come close to matching a Sequoia for cargo space.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Pontiak Aztec with the factory tent option.
    You're not wrong. Kinda like a budget version of a Honda Element.

Too expensive.
    The baby part sure is.

My friends, this cherry example went for under $10k and is everything OP could wish for and more. Let's help him find another just like it.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-amc-eagle-5/

Too expensive.
    The baby or the van? Not sure how tall you are but have you looked at any of those to see if you could sleep comfortably? I've been around Escapes and Sante Fe's through family members and there's no way I'd get a good night's rest without leaving the hatch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The baby or the van? Not sure how tall you are but have you looked at any of those to see if you could sleep comfortably? I've been around Escapes and Sante Fe's through family members and there's no way I'd get a good night's rest without leaving the hatch up.
    Foggy I’m 6’3” and sleep comfortably in the back of my LR4 with all seats folding flat. Heck we sleep 5 comfortably: 3 in the RTT (which was a freebie/hand me down) plus 2 inside. Highway/roadtrip driving is so smooth.

LMK if you want to check it out ever. Easy find (but maybe out of state + shipping) for under $15K. Prob won’t be in WP but one more weekend before summer.

I'm on my way to the city right now. If I've got time, i'm gonna crawl in the back of some SUV at CarMax or whereever this afternoon.

No babies, no Land Rovers. What are my longer wagonish options besides Outbacks. I'm 6'0