Check Out Our Shop
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    15 is my limit on schnitzengruben!
    Bahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    For those that have faded away from skiing as your primary winter activity, what else are you doing to keep yourself fit / happy / occupied during those cold, dark winter months? I still ski a fair amount and enjoy it a lot of the time, but I've struggled to find something else to do in the winter to keep my fitness and spirits up. Going to the gym would handle the fitness aspect, but would decidedly not work for the spirit part.
    I still get about 40 days a season on the hill, but I've really embraced classic XC skiing. I got into about 20 years ago while watching mid-Atlantic winters disappear in real time. Constant snow-rain-warm cycles destroy the resorts, but even a couple of inches of snow meant you could nord-dork around the local trails or head down to Whitegrass. Living out west has spoiled me for sure, but I still get the odd dozen or so days out on the XC gear - even if it's just a quick 30 minute jaunt on the golf course with the dog after work. You can do as little or as much as you feel like, for me it's just about being outside and enjoying another way to play in the snow.
    Montani Semper Liberi

For those that have faded away from skiing as your primary winter activity, what else are you doing to keep yourself fit / happy / occupied during those cold, dark winter months? I still ski a fair amount and enjoy it a lot of the time, but I've struggled to find something else to do in the winter to keep my fitness and spirits up. Going to the gym would handle the fitness aspect, but would decidedly not work for the spirit part.
    I used to be able to ski a lot.. Ski bumming winters in Canada and Taos then teaching at Vail..when I was disinvited to return to Vail ski school because of some valid remarks I made during a training clinic, I started going to Hawaii as often as one of my Taos years roommates let me..couch surfing at his place for 6-9 weeks a year. .. Then all I did was hike or occasion surfing.. ,, made lots of new friends..joined some hiking clubs ..made more friends...then a wakeboarding cable park opened up 15 minutes from where I live.. I fell in love with that and do that during the summer..the wakeboarding led to trips to Philippines during winter time...less Hawaii time.. But much more adventurous.. ..and more friends.. Living cheaply.. Credit card churning for airline miles.. And staying with friends or friends of friends makes it affordable... I still ski very occasionally, but my knee problems and the cost of skiing makes it so I don't miss it very much.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

I got 45 days on the hill, I love carving on ice, it’s what we do back east. Are y’all getting enough vitamin D, how bout yoga? Yoga is freaking awesome. So much good free content on YouTube. Get a mat and get in the flow.
    crab in my shoe mouth

About to turn 50 and am too tired to continue

It’s astonishing to me how many guys here that I thought were much younger are actually old fucks like me and I’m not sure whether it’s horrifying or inspiring lol

I guess on the positive side TEH Trgz provides some us a kind of internet fountain of youth for our online personas . Our Immorality is subject to the whims of the box fan

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Maybe I'll learn to telemark.
    what the fuck is wrong with you?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Our Immorality is subject to the whims of the box fan
    Well yeah, that too

The older you get the harder it gets. But the second you stop it's done.

Don't.
    Fucking.
    Stop.

It's not worth it. I saw a great instaweb post that had a series of triads about how hard life is. One was this:

Obesity is hard
    Being fit is hard
    Choose your hard

And then I listened to a great podcast on The Ringer with Dan Lieberman on it who was presenting all this info on how it's possible to keep going with all kinds of active stuff till you are quite old. And in that moment I realized that it wasn't that the activities I do were getting harder now that I'm a little older. It's that life is getting harder, and the activities reflect that. And if I quit something that's harder or more of a pain in the ass now, things will seem easier for a bit till my mind and body lose the edge that thing was giving me, and then it'll get hard again, or kinda boring again, until I quit something else.

And that is how people age (to greatly simplify the science Lieberman presented.) They quit stuff.

Well, fuck that.

I'm gonna do the shit I do till I literally cannot. And when that happens, I'll find new shit. I lift weights to allow that to happen - absolutely will not work without that. I go skiing even when I don't feel like it - and there has not been a single fucking time when I've gone up the hill and gotten on the lift out of obligation that I've not come home happy I went. Every fucking time - I'm happy I went. Cause I'm outside, in the mountains, making turns on snow. And I'm always in a better mood when I come home. Same with biking. Same with soccer/hoop - fuck even pickleball if my wife drags me to that. Same with backpacking. Surfing even though I'm not skilled enough for where I surf and I get the shit kicked out of me. It is ALWAYS a good idea to go. So I always will. Always say yes. Always go. Until you can't. Cause when you stop, you may never be able to start again.

It's not the activity that's getting harder or more of a pain in the ass. It's life. The activities just reflect that.

Fuck - Eddie Would Go. Didn't matter the conditions, or who else was there, or how uncomfortable it was. Eddie Would Go.

So will I. Every. Damn. Time. Simply have to.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

Don't.
    Fucking.
    Stop.

It's not worth it. I saw a great instaweb post that had a series of triads about how hard life is. One was this:

Obesity is hard
    Being fit is hard
    Choose your hard

And then I listened to a great podcast on The Ringer with Dan Lieberman on it who was presenting all this info on how it's possible to keep going with all kinds of active stuff till you are quite old. And in that moment I realized that it wasn't that the activities I do were getting harder now that I'm a little older. It's that life is getting harder, and the activities reflect that. And if I quit something that's harder or more of a pain in the ass now, things will seem easier for a bit till my mind and body lose the edge that thing was giving me, and then it'll get hard again, or kinda boring again, until I quit something else.

And that is how people age (to greatly simplify the science Lieberman presented.) They quit stuff.

Well, fuck that.

I'm gonna do the shit I do till I literally cannot. And when that happens, I'll find new shit. I lift weights to allow that to happen - absolutely will not work without that. I go skiing even when I don't feel like it - and there has not been a single fucking time when I've gone up the hill and gotten on the lift out of obligation that I've not come home happy I went. Every fucking time - I'm happy I went. Cause I'm outside, in the mountains, making turns on snow. And I'm always in a better mood when I come home. Same with biking. Same with soccer/hoop - fuck even pickleball if my wife drags me to that. Same with backpacking. Surfing even though I'm not skilled enough for where I surf and I get the shit kicked out of me. It is ALWAYS a good idea to go. So I always will. Always say yes. Always go. Until you can't. Cause when you stop, you may never be able to start again.

It's not the activity that's getting harder or more of a pain in the ass. It's life. The activities just reflect that.

Fuck - Eddie Would Go. Didn't matter the conditions, or who else was there, or how uncomfortable it was. Eddie Would Go.

Preach

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Y’all should take up tele skiing! For those that are burning out on that, I recommend tele ski ballet, then tele snowblades, then tele snowblade ballet, then monoskiing.

Maybe a trip to the eastern Sierra, long valley, owens valley, and Death Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    How old are you now, around 55 iirc? If you quit your job you can take distributions from your 401k penalty free at 55 1/2. That could bridge you over until you find new work.

COBRA is expensive, you’d be able to get a high deductible plan on the exchange to bridge you to your next job

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    9 mos till I'm 55.5. The 401k is the emergency emergency backup. Breaking into that anytime soon practically guarantees that I'll be eating dog food in retirement, if im lucky, instead of most probably eating dog food.

I feel a tiny bit better today, but not about my job. I'm tired and got a bunch more hours to do before I go to bed. Taking a shower this morning did wonders. I almost skipped it. Don't ever skip it if you're feeling down.

Everyone's situation is different. I'm definitely burnt out. Which makes it hard to do just about anything. Stay, go, it all seems hard when you're down. And when the job sucks up most waking hours, good luck.

I've never been a highly motivated person. I have horrible time management skills. I've always been like that. I'm scattered. Middle age, burn out, and most probably depression makes it worse.

Definitely don't stop. I agree once you stop it's a bitch to start up again. Unless of course you have some major injury that just makes it impossible to continue.

I just think about what a bitch it is to start up on the weight lifting after an injury or illness lays me up for just a week. Just one damn week off, and then getting going again is a PITA. Feels like I lose 12 weeks worth of fitness in just 7-10 days.

Sucks getting old but sucks more not fighting getting old.

And I'm happy if I can get at least 25 days on the hill. Last 6 seasons I've managed to get close to 50 days. This year I might hit 40.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I've never been a highly motivated person. I have horrible time management skills. I've always been like that. I'm scattered. Middle age, burn out, and most probably depression makes it worse.
    Motivation is when it comes easy. Discipline is the true challenge. Our job is to step to our kryptonite. Just focus on making incrementally better decisions. Like the shower. Or 50 jumping jacks. Or starting on your resume/CV. Or choosing a salad.

Don't make progress contingent on things you don't control. Invest in yourself. 54 isn't very old.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all should take up tele skiing! For those that are burning out on that, I recommend tele ski ballet, then tele snowblades, then tele snowblade ballet, then monoskiing.

Maybe a trip to the eastern Sierra, long valley, owens valley, and Death Valley.
    Lifelong snowboarder but I did do a season on teles back east just to mix it up. Never made it off the blues, but had a lot of fun.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    9 mos till I'm 55.5. The 401k is the emergency emergency backup. Breaking into that anytime soon practically guarantees that I'll be eating dog food in retirement, if im lucky, instead of most probably eating dog food.

I feel a tiny bit better today, but not about my job. I'm tired and got a bunch more hours to do before I go to bed. Taking a shower this morning did wonders. I almost skipped it. Don't ever skip it if you're feeling down.

Everyone's situation is different. I'm definitely burnt out. Which makes it hard to do just about anything. Stay, go, it all seems hard when you're down. And when the job sucks up most waking hours, good luck.

89 suburban, slab city, ,30 pack of Utica club, make wind chimes out of roadside garbage. Live happily ever after

YMMV as they say but my 50's were really good, lots of money no job and the body was running pretty good definatleyy the best shape eva on the skin track

a blown ACL just before covid was tough but i'm coming back

I recommend E-bikes and micro dosing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    YMMV as they say but my 50's were really good, lots of money no job and the body was running pretty good definatleyy the best shape eva on the skin track
    you tell us this every week, we KNOW, ok?

I recommend not telemarking for sure, but pick up new challenges. I keep my weekly 2x week league disc golf and have been adding in some skatepark days and field recording. I will add that being around much younger people really sinks in in a good way.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I've been getting out of Flagstaff every chance I get and spending that time in Kingman. The city gave me a gig so I could make ends meet and continue doing trail stuff over there so this winter I'd work 4-5 hours some days (ride others) doing design work, leading volunteer trail days and building. I usually call it between 2-3 and then head to the local brewery to sit in the late afternoon sun with friends and kill 3-4 beers before eating dinner and calling it a day. A buddy has been letting me stay in his trailer. It's been heavenly and these activities are my current happy place. The historic downtown is so damn peaceful. While we sip our beers enjoying the sunshine the only sounds beyond our conversations are all of the birds singing away and laid those beers at the Black Bridge Brewery are delicious!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    you tell us this every week, we KNOW, ok?
    well if it bothers you that much your life must suck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Fatbiking in winter out your back door onto trails - it’s not a complete substitute for skiing (there’s not that weightless and flying at a high rate of speed sensation) but it’s outdoors, it’s exercise, it can be fun, it doesn’t involve crowds or parking or lift tickets, and even a 30minute ride feels great - especially after you get home, warm up in the shower, and then go about your day.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    I've been getting out of Flagstaff every chance I get and spending that time in Kingman. The city gave me a gig so I could make ends meet and continue doing trail stuff over there so this winter I'd work 4-5 hours some days (ride others) doing design work, leading volunteer trail days and building. I usually call it between 2-3 and then head to the local brewery to sit in the late afternoon sun with friends and kill 3-4 beers before eating dinner and calling it a day. A buddy has been letting me stay in his trailer. It's been heavenly and these activities are my current happy place. The historic downtown is so damn peaceful. While we sip our beers enjoying the sunshine the only sounds beyond our conversations are all of the birds singing away and laid those beers at the Black Bridge Brewery are delicious!
    That sounds pretty damn awesome. Makes me wish I wasn't so far from a drivable winter bike destination.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    89 suburban, slab city, ,30 pack of Utica club, make wind chimes out of roadside garbage. Live happily ever after
    In! Does it come with free meth?

Could be another side hustle like the wind chimes.

Artisanal.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post

Don't.
    Fucking.
    Stop.

Obesity is hard
    Being fit is hard
    Choose your hard

Well, fuck that.

That’s the spirit! Really, not kidding.

I previously posted that my local hill is like home. Small local mountains are where it’s at. Short drive times, I know most everyone I see on weekdays and most of them on a first name basis. Community. I ski regularly with many septuagenarians and octogenarians. I love skiing all types of snow and terrain. I love the other seasons too, hiking, cycling, backpacking, swimming etc. just get out.

Perspective, we’re so lucky. Life is great enjoy the ride whatever it is that gets you excited.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums