Check Out Our Shop

For your viewing pleasure: Groove Requiem, AK segment

[quote][//quote]

One of the greatest early Alaska ski segments ever. Those guys had no idea how lucky they were during that time.

Wonder what ever happened to Chet Simmons and Dan Donnelly?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    One of the greatest early Alaska ski segments ever. Those guys had no idea how lucky they were during that time.

Wonder what ever happened to Chet Simmons and Dan Donnelly?
    Chet seemed to be doing well as of 2010:

Thanks for posting! Haven't seen that segment in a LONG time!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Those guys had no idea how lucky they were during that time.
    I wasn't there in '91 but was in '96 (or maybe my first year was '97?) — can tell you they absolutely knew how good they had it!

Kind of sad in many senses how things have played out up there. Times change.

Can anyone explain why skiing with no hat used to be considered the most badass thing possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Can anyone explain why skiing with no hat used to be considered the most badass thing possible?
    Why were one pieces popular? Why were pants with the color-blocked knees popular?*

Fashun.

As someone with no hair now, it's in my rearview.... but damn I miss skiing with a headband on warm-ish days. I had a cow-print US ski team headband from the 90s (people are asking $200 for it!)... and climbing (or anything) with a visor. Gone are those days!

* (Well, 1 pieces WERE warm, and the knee thing came from judges in mogul comps scoring a skier on keeping their knees together...)

I'm a skier and Scot S is one of my heroes, but Dan D's riding in that segment is SOOO much more soulful.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Greg’s showing Groove Wednesday night on the big screen here in Aspen. Not quite sure my wife will go for it on V day, but man do I want to see it in a theatre

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I didn't know I had seen this clip until the music played and I instantly got shot back in time. Holy shit. The Before Times. Thanks for that.
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-13-2024 at 05:41 AM.

Pleasure watching this. Snowboard style has not developed to something better.

Pretty sure snowboarding peaked around TB6. Maybe TB7. That era was quite indefinable. To suggest otherwise would be a disservice.

How about we just say Terje? Let's just say Terje pinnacled the entire sport?

Am I the asshole now?
    Last edited by gaijin; 02-13-2024 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Greg’s showing Groove Wednesday night on the big screen here in Aspen. Not quite sure my wife will go for it on V day, but man do I want to see it in a theatre

He’s staying with Hanle. We’re going to one of the shows with him,
    but wife’s being initiated into the Elks Wednesday.

For your viewing pleasure: Groove Requiem, AK segment

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

JFC, Mrs. plug and I wanna go so bad.
    We went to a showing in Portland, ME, (might have been its premiere), I won the skis as the grand prize. They wanted to give me some intermediate skis, and I got them to give me some TNC’s. Greg was so nice.

“And then we got the nugget we were looking for”
    Last edited by plugboots; 02-13-2024 at 12:35 PM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    JFC, Mrs. plug and I wanna go so bad.
    We went to a showing in Portland, ME, (might have been its premiere), I won the skis as the grand prize. They wanted to give me some intermediate skis, and I got them to give me some TNC’s. Greg was so nice.

“And then we got the nugget we were looking for”
    I got her to come with me to the Legend of Aaah's showing that Greg did back in 2012 at the Belly Up. I'll for sure go to Blizzard next Wednesday and hopefully she'll be game to join. V-day is hard to give up for a ski movie - from her POV...

We made it out for dinner and Blizz and it was great. Stumpy is still Stumpy and the movie still rocks (though it would be amazing if he had the coin to digitally remaster it). They sold out two theatres for the showing tonight