Check Out Our Shop
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Or as a small company you only want 5k frames but then get told the minimum order from your frame builder in Taiwan is 10k frames.
    It went all the way up and down the line. Companies were told by manufacturers that they had to order 5 x (or whatever figure) to insure that they could even get 1X. Retailers were told by companies that they had to order 10 x just to get 5x, and so on. Retailers were also being pressured to order more in order to compete with shipping breaks, financing breaks, etc, that the ‘company’ stores were ‘enjoying’.
    The companies and retailers got cocky, and stopped taking care of lifelong customers, because there were just no bikes, and 10x as many new customers in line.
    Some retailers basically stopped even answering phone calls and messages.
    Pro forms/pro deals were shut down, due to availability and demand.
    A lot of ill will was created that still hasn’t totally come back, precisely when the small shops are struggling more than ever. There is more than a little schadenfrued to go around, but it’s actually kind of depressing.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Completely forgot about SuperGo. That takes me back.
    I'm still riding a voodoo hardtail I got there in like 1999. I've toured on it, commuted on it, and even ridden some trails. It's worked out pretty good for $599 (I think that's about what I paid for it)

I really like this dude’s take on what would serve the majority of bike riders (ie, not ‘cyclists’, or nerds like us).

https://www.wpr.org/news/lake-mills-...pular-opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’m down in Cabarete windsurfing with Marcus, owner of a sailing shop.
    Same shits hitting the wind sports industry.
    I love cab. Hopefully the reef is firing!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

From a few up. I actually thought local bike shops treated me better during covid. They were happy to spend the time and look through some jank for a little doohickey. I'm guessing some of them embraced shop repairs and customer service vs buzz off you cheap beater

During the summer of ‘20 and ‘21 here, shops wouldn’t do much of anything without a service appointment, and they were 3-6 weeks out. Even longer if they couldn’t get parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I really like this dude’s take on what would serve the majority of bike riders (ie, not ‘cyclists’, or nerds like us).

https://www.wpr.org/news/lake-mills-...pular-opinions
    Thanks for this.

I’m trying to hit a sweet spot between this guy’s shop and store descriptions. I enjoyed his perspective.
    I like nice bikes and high performance stuff, but generally get more satisfaction from setting people up with bikes so they can reliably get to work or just cruise around town instead of driving or walking.
    Exposing people to what a bicycle can provide in terms of physical/mental health and experiencing our surroundings and community is incredibly satisfying.
    Riding through neighborhoods and smelling dinners cooking and spring flowers blooming in some good shit.

^^^Damn straight.^^^

I was only in your shop for a few minutes last year, but I caught some of that vibe right away.
    Last edited by rideit; 05-16-2024 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Thanks for this.

I’m trying to hit a sweet spot between this guy’s shop and store descriptions. I enjoyed his perspective.
    I like nice bikes and high performance stuff, but generally get more satisfaction from setting people up with bikes so they can reliably get to work or just cruise around town instead of driving or walking.
    Exposing people to what a bicycle can provide in terms of physical/mental health and experiencing our surroundings and community is incredibly satisfying.
    Riding through neighborhoods and smelling dinners cooking and spring flowers blooming in some good shit.

Props!

Joetron, what is your shop? I'm up in Ogden, but will be likely losing my LBS at the end of the year. PM me if you prefer.
    Montani Semper Liberi

I took the reigns at Durango Cyclery 4 years ago.

Don't you mean handlebars?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Don't you mean handlebars?
    Made me lol at the coffee shop. Solid.

Stuckie made a funny.

Joetron is a solid mag. Picked up a MTB from him a few years back and he gave a solid deal and tuned it prior to pickup.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The Radivist is reporting that Kona was purchased back from the original owners. I hope Kent Outdoors took a bath on that deal!

https://theradavist.com/kona-founder...kent-outdoors/

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    The Radivist is reporting that Kona was purchased back from the original owners. I hope Kent Outdoors took a bath on that deal!

https://theradavist.com/kona-founder...kent-outdoors/
    Fuck yes.
    I was just speculating about this last week. Those guys have such a deep connection to the brand, I doubt they could let it dissolve into PE purgatory, get sold and emerge as some shitty department store brand.

That's awesome!
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

The brand was never going to disappear - someone would have bought it in bankruptcy… glad it’s the founds and not becoming some budget department store brand…

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Gotta admit, it’s admirable and ballsy to do this in this industry climate. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Gotta admit, it’s admirable and ballsy to do this in this industry climate. Kudos.
    Yeah, they must have plenty of money and figure they can ride out this down cycle. Could prove to be a good time to rebuild and get their shit together.

That's awesome. Hopefully they can figure out how to right the ship. Seems like kona was struggling under the last few years of their (previous) ownership, and then really took a nose dive under Kent. I'd like to think that the only direction to go is up. If they can get back to their core business model of offering solid, simple bikes at reasonable prices, they'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

SSU insolvency and the bike industry generally

They have an excuse to hunker down / tighten the belt….

I wonder if they go 100% DTC.

They have always been indy shop focused… it’d be cool for them to not stray from that….

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    They have an excuse to hunker down / tighten the belt….

I wonder if they go 100% DTC.

They have always been indy shop focused… it’d be cool for them to not stray from that….

The statement from the guys who bought it back said they are "pausing" all direct to consumer sales and commented on how much they appreciate their dealers.

I'd like to see them focus on things other than the crowded (and expensive to develop) full suspension market - - steel bikes, hardtails, fun weird touring / gravel / cross bikes, commuter bikes. Basically Surly but do it with better parts spec, better geometry, and lower price.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'd like to see them focus on things other than the crowded (and expensive to develop) full suspension market - - steel bikes, hardtails, fun weird touring / gravel / cross bikes, commuter bikes. Basically Surly but do it with better parts spec, better geometry, and lower price.
    So much heritage there. Doing re-issues on some of the OG models or retro paint to reinstill the brand seems like a no brainer. Sign me up for a stars and bars a'ha + a modernized Chute with the 1999 paint job