Check Out Our Shop
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Heard some rumblings about Lapierre being in trouble too.

That 4 part podcast on the bike industry during covid was fascinating - thanks for linking that.

Will bikes direct keep plugging away? Remember when you could get a flyteem titanium hardtail for cheaper then an XTR group set? Love or hate em, kind of the OG of direct to consumer. Lots of hate back in the day from bike shops. Was it suppergo or nashbar that had crazy deals before internet? Like get a catalog in the mail and send a check in the mail?

Completely forgot about SuperGo. That takes me back.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Will bikes direct keep plugging away? Remember when you could get a flyteem titanium hardtail for cheaper then an XTR group set? Love or hate em, kind of the OG of direct to consumer. Lots of hate back in the day from bike shops. Was it suppergo or nashbar that had crazy deals before internet? Like get a catalog in the mail and send a check in the mail?
    Used to freaking love getting the performance and nashbar catalogs as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Used to freaking love getting the performance and nashbar catalogs as a kid.
    Same. My friends and I would drive 40 minutes to a Performance to ogle the real bikes and get things we couldn’t get in our local strip mall bikes shops that carried mostly cruisers and BMX bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Same. My friends and I would drive 40 minutes to a Performance to ogle the real bikes and get things we couldn’t get in our local strip mall bikes shops that carried mostly cruisers and BMX bikes.
    Like longer stems, narrower bars and skinnier rims and buying smaller cassettes.

Irvine Bike Source was a biggie in the late 90s too. Got my first Rocky Mountain there.

Quote Originally Posted by SJG View Post
    Irvine Bike Source was a biggie in the late 90s too. Got my first Rocky Mountain there.
    I bought a Santa Cruz Heckler there in '98.

I’m down in Cabarete windsurfing with Marcus, owner of a sailing shop.
    Same shits hitting the wind sports industry.

I read a blurb that the same thing is happening with RV's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I read a blurb that the same thing is happening with RV's
    Same with OHVs, sleds. Recreational equipment hard goods is not doing well

Read recently that REI lost 300 million last year.

Fly fishing is certainly feeling it. Some companies recognized the demand was unsustainable, others were blinded by it. My former employer fell into the latter and I had to cut bait on a job I thought I would do the rest of my life. Thankful I made the decision when I did.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

in 1999 companies went thru the whole Y2K prep thing with their computers/ data and then in october put everything on hold to wait for the big nothing that was Y2K

so 2000 was a shitty year cuz eveything had shut down completely and companies didn't just start spending money again like nothing happened

The post covid hangover is kind of the same big worldwide catastrophic event IMO
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-12-2024 at 09:37 AM.

Covid was different though, because the sugar rush frenzy experienced by the outdoor industry fooled may into thinking it was the new normal, instead of the peak of a boom.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Ya but I think its ^^ more than just outdoor stuff beign affected ?

a lot of money got spent on computers and data pre Y2K to make them compliant but I think it was the disruption of bringing the world to a halt that made 2000 a shitty year for the computer indsutry

YOUR FAVORITE BIKE COMPANY IS STRUGGLING

https://cyclingindependent.com/your-...is-struggling/
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Ya but I think its ^^ more than just outdoor stuff beign affected ?

a lot of money got spent on computers and data pre Y2K to make them compliant but I think it was the disruption of bringing the world to a halt that made 2000 a shitty year for the computer indsutry
    Nothing happened with y2k though. Nothing stopped.
    There was the web bubble starting to burst. That certainly fucked things up a bit in tech.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Covid was different though, because the sugar rush frenzy experienced by the outdoor industry fooled may into thinking it was the new normal, instead of the peak of a boom.
    what i don't fully understand is the breadth of the kool aid drinking. how are so many companies getting caught with their dicks out?
    swing your fucking sword.

That’s a classic bubble mentality.

Even if you recognize you’re in a bubble, you’ll still try to make as much money as you can while you can.

This is not the Bitcoin thread is it?
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    what i don't fully understand is the breadth of the kool aid drinking. how are so many companies getting caught with their dicks out?
    But even if you are a smaller company and played it safe, you still need to sell your bikes - and now you are competing against these big companies that made bad choices and are having fire sales on everything, and the customers are looking for deals...
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Or as a small company you only want 5k frames but then get told the minimum order from your frame builder in Taiwan is 10k frames.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    But even if you are a smaller company and played it safe, you still need to sell your bikes - and now you are competing against these big companies that made bad choices and are having fire sales on everything, and the customers are looking for deals...
    Lots of this. Even if you played it right, many didn't. Bikes have been on 20-40% discount for like 16 months now.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025