Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Nest, she is empty…

Greetings brethren and mags of the TRGs…. Welp, it’s official, Mrs. Seano and I are empty nesters, having just left Thing Two at college in San Diego, while Thing One left the weekend before ( local but on campus housing)…. I’m obviously proud of my daughters, but I find myself kinda walking around in a fog, if that makes sense. Going from 100 mph at home to zero is really weird… And Mrs. Seano is taking it really hard, she alternates between total silence to bawling on the regular. My question to the collective that have gone through this, what helped you adapt and overcome? I’m sure it gets easier with time, but right now I’m (we) are pretty deep in the pain cave…. Any tips, advice, and suggestions are appreciated. And fuck me, if you need the cold breath of mortality kissing your neck, leaving your daughter in a college parking lot crying her eyes out is a great way to do so. Thanks in advance Mags. Oh, and suggestions not involving hookers and blow, I’m too old for that shit.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Just took the 3rd kid and dropped him off at CU last weekend, but mine were all boys, so I was eager to get all their asses out.

So I'm of no help.

Read the "college selection" thread to find commiserators.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Just took the 3rd kid and dropped him off at CU last weekend, but mine were all boys, so I was eager to get all their asses out.

So I'm of no help.
    Lol ….. good on you. I feel like the fact mine are twins makes it weirder. Talk about ripping the bandaid off…

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Read the "college selection" thread to find commiserators.
    Entirely too much work.

My wife brought home a cat after 2 of 3 vacated and the third one leaving making us empty nesters was definitely "weird". By the way the freaking cat might be most loved/spoiled animal that's ever lived.
    Wait until they come home for the summer and you'll be checking off the days until they leave.
    You now have time to do things for yourself or all the shit you've been avoiding around the house for the last 18 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    My wife brought home a cat after 2 of 3 vacated and the third one leaving making us empty nesters was definitely "weird". By the way the freaking cat might be most loved/spoiled animal that's ever lived.
    Wait until they come home for the summer and you'll be checking off the days until they leave.
    You now have time to do things for yourself or all the shit you've been avoiding around the house for the last 18 years.
    Ha! We have three dogs, so fuck if I’m getting a cat….And yes, we’ve talked about all the shit we can finally get done, but I literally find myself walking into a room in my house and having no idea why I did that….

go skiing…

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Ha! We have three dogs, so fuck if I’m getting a cat….And yes, we’ve talked about all the shit we can finally get done, but I literally find myself walking into a room in my house and having no idea why I did that….
    How's my buddy Crash?

Have you thought of trying for Thing #3?

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Your wife might just show up with another dog and don't worry, the drive to do shit only lasts like 6 months then you'll just be another lazy dad in the neighborhood with no kids events to be at anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    go skiing…

Ummm yes but it’s August and fucking hot down here…

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    How's my buddy Crash?
    Surprisingly injury free…

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Have you thought of trying for Thing #3?
    You shut your whore mouth.

Oldest is in his senior year at OU School of Engineering. Youngest is in her 2nd year at Wake Tech and moved in to an apartment across town with a friend middle of the month. She just dropped in to pick up some things that didn't make the first wave of her move. Silly how silly I felt to see her after she had only been gone 2 weeks.

Good side is I can use their rooms for home office options now. I had been camping out in the living room the past 2 years. The youngster's deck cleaned up nicely :-)
    Already switched the entertainment system to MY Amazon Music account LOL!

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Only 2 of my 5 have left but #3 and #4 leave this year and the next. It's hard, but I love hearing them get into their lives. We're heavily involved in our church which I find helps a lot.

Now when we get all 5 together, it is the greatest thing ever. Not sure how things will go when we are fully empty in the nest. My wife is already looking at getting a job (been a home since the oldest was born), but we'll see how that goes. My recent heart attack has her deciding to up her health in her list of priorities.

The best part is my kids left for school in ID and UT, so great skiing with an excuse to visit!

I work at a hot springs/ campground and this week was all ppl moving their kids in to MSU. Wow, what fanfare. I've seen wealthy women all over town bawling the last few days.

College. I got in my car and went to college. Did not remember any fanfare.

Tell your kids not to get blackout drunk around a house full of drunk AF college kids. No bueno.

The Nest, she is empty…

Ours have been out for a bit. It sure teaches you whether you are still friends with your spouse. Meeting new folks without kids becomes more challenging but there is a lot
    more free time for marital relations.

Man I just can’t relate. Wife and I are empty nesters and it’s awesome. And now when I see my kids it’s meaningful with good conversations. Arguments with kids AND wife have decreased 99%.

I don’t get the weepy listlessness. Don’t you have a life to live? Enjoy the ch-ch-ch-changes.

The Nest, she is empty…

Congratulations on raising two successful kids!

Mine is only eight and with his condition I’m unlikely to ever be empty nester so I really don’t know what to say. Maybe organize old photos and revel in the joy of the parenting well done?

I can also drop my kid off at your place to keep you busy, eh?

The Nest, she is empty…

I’m the youngest of 3, so I got a window into that whole thing when my parents dropped me off freshman year. They basically helped dump all myself in my room and quickly said goodbye before leaving as quick as they came. Didn’t find out until later they cried the entire several hour drive home.

It also happened that our red retriever died a couple months before I left, so their house felt extra empty. So what do you know that several weeks later I get a text message from them- with my mom holding a brand new retriever puppy.

They swore up and down that they were done with dogs after the last one passed, but they were too used to being parents that it seemed to fit. We’ll see what happens after this dog passes too.

TLDR: get a puppy

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    I’m the youngest of 3, so I got a window into that whole thing when my parents dropped me off freshman year. They basically helped dump all myself in my room and quickly said goodbye before leaving as quick as they came. Didn’t find out until later they cried the entire several hour drive home.

It also happened that our red retriever died a couple months before I left, so their house felt extra empty. So what do you know that several weeks later I get a text message from them- with my mom holding a brand new retriever puppy.

They swore up and down that they were done with dogs after the last one passed, but they were too used to being parents that it seemed to fit. We’ll see what happens after this dog passes too.

TLDR: get a puppy
    they already have three dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I don’t get the weepy listlessness. Don’t you have a life to live?
    This. You're lucky if you have 20 good years left, so get the fuck out there and start ticking all the stuff off your bucket list that you couldn't do when you had kids!!

You’re welcome to babysit my 3 month old. Probably an hour would be enough to return home with gratitude for a quiet house. 😀

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Man I just can’t relate. Wife and I are empty nesters and it’s awesome. And now when I see my kids it’s meaningful with good conversations. Arguments with kids AND wife have decreased 99%.

I don’t get the weepy listlessness. Don’t you have a life to live? Enjoy the ch-ch-ch-changes.
    Honestly dude, good for you. I’m not fucking weepy and listless, but since we left SD, in no particular order I’ve lost my wallet, keys, phone, forgot why I went into my office, and drove the wrong way to the local store….So if you’re advice is C’Est le bon Chance Roullie, again thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    This. You're lucky if you have 20 good years left, so get the fuck out there and start ticking all the stuff off your bucket list that you couldn't do when you had kids!!
    See above.

First time they come home for a few days it’ll be loud and busy and you’ll miss the peace and quiet and when they go away again you’ll be relieved. And you’ll be over it.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    First time they come home for a few days it’ll be loud and busy and you’ll miss the peace and quiet and when they go away again you’ll be relieved. And you’ll be over it.
    Word.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Eh mine came home this weekend and we enjoy her company all the time. Being an only child she always has hung with us. And now that she’s older she’s our friend.
    Being so damn close, she’ll be home a lot. Only thing I can bitch about is the dishes. Still leaves em in the sink like she did when she was 5. At least rinse them out please. Cmon.