Check Out Our Shop

40ish miles in the Sawtooths or Winds

I’ve got some time off coming up next month and I’m working on finding a good backpacking route. Over the past 25 years I’ve probably covered just about every mile and seen every lake in the Uintas, so I’m trying to find something new. I’m thinking 10-15 miles max per day and 40-50 total miles over 4 hiking days. Preferably within a 5 hour drive of SLC. I’ve never hiked in either the Sawtooths or the Wind River ranges so they’re high on my list but I’m open to other options. Anyone got a route they’re willing to share?

I hike the length of the Winds many years ago. Most of the hiking was on the hiline stock trail that runs in lowish elevations on the east side. We did our hike as part of a climbing trip, spending time in the Cirque of the Towers and Temple area and then in the Titcomb/Gannet area. You could put together a short loop in the Cirque of the Towers/Temple area, if you're willing to cross Class 2-3 cols. Same with the Titcomb/Gannet area. For the latter a big part of the hiking would be coming in from Pinedale or Dubois--20 miles or so either way.

One of the fishing shops in Pinedale will do a car shuttle for you if you want to do a point to point. The Cirque is kind of a must see but it’s getting pretty crowded, don’t expect much solitude and make sure you carry wag bags.

Dear Leader:
    https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...2b622e0af98182

It's a little more than 5 hours from SLC, but there's just a ton of nice high country/lakes/streams/cirques/peaks.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Dear Leader:
    https://usfs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...2b622e0af98182

It's a little more than 5 hours from SLC, but there's just a ton of nice high country/lakes/streams/cirques/peaks.
    If there's one thing I've learned from posting on this board, it's that Buster knows his stuff when it comes to travel. The Wallowas are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    If there's one thing I've learned from posting on this board, it's that Buster knows his stuff when it comes to travel. The Wallowas are amazing!
    You ain’t lying about Buster!

Dear Leader:

I'd posit that it'll be quieter in the Sawtooths. Crazy to say that, as the Winds are serious bizness but more peeps in there these days.

Mosquito hell out there sometimes. Bigguns.

Consider the Teton Crest trail? Stellar weather here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Dear Leader:

I'd posit that it'll be quieter in the Sawtooths. Crazy to say that, as the Winds are serious bizness but more peeps in there these days.

Mosquito hell out there sometimes. Bigguns.

Consider the Teton Crest trail? Stellar weather here now.
    Teton Crest was actually on my list but my partner did it a few years ago and wanted something new. I think a loop through Cirque of the Towers will be the ticket.

^^^^^^^^
    Coolio, that's a bucket list lap for sure.

Holla at me if ya need anything/place to crash, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    I’ve got some time off coming up next month and I’m working on finding a good backpacking route. Over the past 25 years I’ve probably covered just about every mile and seen every lake in the Uintas, so I’m trying to find something new. I’m thinking 10-15 miles max per day and 40-50 total miles over 4 hiking days. Preferably within a 5 hour drive of SLC. I’ve never hiked in either the Sawtooths or the Wind River ranges so they’re high on my list but I’m open to other options. Anyone got a route they’re willing to share?
    What's some of your favorite sections or short 2-3 day hikes in the Unitas?

Teton Crest was actually on my list but my partner did it a few years ago and wanted something new. I think a loop through Cirque of the Towers will be the ticket.
    I’ve got a decent loop for you. I’ll shoot you a PM later. Maybe I can figure out how to share a Gaia track.

Sawtooths are incredible. Tons of lakes to connect and generally not too crowded, plus no griz to deal with. I've never hiked the Winds before, so no comment there.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

i've got a good loop of both sawtooths and winds (not the cirque) that I enjoyed if it's not too late (i can pm gps tracks). I'm guessing bugs have come down a bit in the winds by now...

winds loop i did after labor day, no bugs, 20's at night and saw 4 people total over 30 miles and two nights.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    i've got a good loop of both sawtooths and winds (not the cirque) that I enjoyed if it's not too late (i can pm gps tracks). I'm guessing bugs have come down a bit in the winds by now...

winds loop i did after labor day, no bugs, 20's at night and saw 4 people total over 30 miles and two nights.
    Not OP, but would love these!

didn't feel like making this public anymore
    Last edited by NBABUCKS1; 08-21-2023 at 11:24 AM.

buster - wifes family is from walla walla and they love that area and have very strong connections to it. I've seen them from the highway and they look good, have to put the wallowa on our next year loop

Cirque of the Towers classic loop is pretty easy in the scale of things, one real up 'n over at Texas Pass but otherwise lots of mellow walking to enjoy the views from. Had such a great time there a few years back, but there seemed like a lot of options to extend north of that area and then come into the Cirque towards the end. Making me miss Wyoming...

Sadly had the worst meal of my life in Pinedale after we got out. Wish I could remember the name of the bar so we could warn ye!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Coming out meal is always chicken fried steak. Never had a bad one in Pinedale or anywhere else.

Not a loop but go the other way to Elko and The Ruby Crest ? Warning ... It can be brutal 'cause you can see what's ahead for the next 10 miles or so along a portion of the trail (nothing but PUDs).
    Food ? We always pick up a dozen, or so, pasties from BJ Bull for future consumption.