Check Out Our Shop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MLB In Salt Lake WTAF?!?

From this article https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...xpansion-chasehttps://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...xpansion-chase

A Salt Lake City consortium led by the former owner of the Utah Jazz plans to pursue a Major League Baseball franchise in the coming years, touting the area's population growth, strong economy and baseball history as draws for a coveted expansion slot, people involved with the project told ESPN.

Big League Utah, a group headed by longtime Jazz owner Gail Miller, will join Nashville's Music City Baseball and the Portland Diamond Project in lobbying to join the current 30 MLB organizations. Las Vegas, considered a prime destination for a franchise, has emerged as a strong candidate if the Oakland Athletics relocate.

This is some bullshit. Started hearing rumblings about this a while back, they think they are going to build it between the Airport and down town, currently a desolate shithole once you get past Red Iguana and before you get to the HUGE new Airport I just experienced for the first time after decades of the old one.

I have talked to some of these folks and I guess LHM thinks they can do a mixed use real estate deal around a new stadium similar to the Battery in Atlanta. This is apples to oranges for a dozen reasons, chief of which is the Braves were an established franchise that have a huge following across the south thanks to TBS in the early cable days and the fact Atlanta is literally a hub and spoke center of the South East. People come to the city for Braves games AND events at the Battery. Trust me I sell the Hotel that's there it does VERY well.

Are folks from ID, WY & farther going to come to SLC for baseball?!?

Plus the local politics will fuck this up like they did the Real Salt Lake stadium which should of been downtown but ended up in another city entirely, Sandy
    Real Sandy, its some bullshit.

Just dont see this happening no matter how much lipstick they put on this pig.

I thought this was a good thing for Salt Lake?
    Apparently not so much? I’m confused by your post here.

"Real Sandy" would've been a fun name. I wonder what the mascot would've been.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Yep! And personally I love the stadium location. A very easy walk home after a match.

Woodsy, why you so mad?

Sandy Vagina would be a great mascot

It's pretty f'in hot and shitty in that area in the summer, I'll say that much. Maybe they could buy the plans from Tampa and build another Trop.

Part of what makes the Battery great is that the entire development is a designated entertainment district, meaning you can buy a drink at one place and meander on down to the next, or take in whatever entertainment is going on in any of the public spaces and/or stages without having the pain of having to wait to get into/leave one place to the next - it makes for a very fluid environment with people moving from one spot to the next and lively common areas.

Something tells me that may not be as achievable in SLC.
    I still call it The Jake.

Maybe they could buy the plans from Tampa and build another Trop.
    QFT

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    swing your fucking sword.

The team names people are coming up with….SLC Soakers, Stormin Mormons, Elusive Elders…here we go.

Soakers my god

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Part of what makes the Battery great is that the entire development is a designated entertainment district, meaning you can buy a drink at one place and meander on down to the next, or take in whatever entertainment is going on in any of the public spaces and/or stages without having the pain of having to wait to get into/leave one place to the next - it makes for a very fluid environment with people moving from one spot to the next and lively common areas.

Something tells me that may not be as achievable in SLC.
    AS some one who has dealt with the hospitality side of UT liquor laws a lot and whose father was actually involved in changing them a bit for the better around the turn of the century, I would definitely say this is on the " This is apples to oranges for a dozen reasons," list

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    I thought this was a good thing for Salt Lake?
    Apparently not so much? I’m confused by your post here.
    Buzz, you know me well, two things I care a lot about are SLC & Baseball and this is good for neither.

That's funny, I just heard someone mention that yesterday for the first time at Fisher's. Maybe that's why the Bees got cleared out over to South Jordan?
    Montani Semper Liberi

I don't know wtf you are ranting about Woodsy. There is a 100 acres of property to put this field on that'sready for development, an old power plant site. Trax would drop off people right in front of it and some hotels and a downtown nightlife is nearby, also Trax ride away. Frontrunner connecting Ogden and Provo to the staduim is 1-2 trax stop away too. Having a stadium NOT in the suburbs sounds impossible these days, but the Millers are going for it. It's a great spot, the alternative choice rumored was Daybreak that the Milers own and could easily do, everyone was afraid Daybreak would be the first choice.

If you said portland or vancouver would most likely get a team over SLC and it'll never happen because of that, you'd be making some sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Buzz, you know me well, two things I care a lot about are SLC & Baseball and this is good for neither.
    Yep I know this about you. But I do not understand your message here. How is this bad for both?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Soakers my god
    I laffed. That’s inside baseball Mormon tomfoolery.

If I had musk money, I’d buy the team and name them the Stormin’ Mormon Soakers. FKNA!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Yep! And personally I love the stadium location. A very easy walk home after a match.

Woodsy, why you so mad?
    Because they brought the team to SLC when I lived there the second time, and was a big soccer fan. I went to a few games at the U and it was fun. They were talking about a down town or at least SLC stadium which would have been amazing, walking/ short free Trax distance to hotels and bars and restaurants DT ( and my old condo as you know) then the politics got funky and the mayor of Sandy and $$$ got involved and the team ended up in the whitest, least soccer focused/aware part of town with nothing but suburbia (no offense you your lil slice of heaven) surrounding it. So fk Sandy city and fk the MLS.

And if you have never seen Trappers or Bees/Buzz game @ Derks/Covey/Smiths field you are missing out.
    Best view from a baseball field & great vibe.
    plus you could bring watermelon in and that leads to fun and big beers were cheap and fk it now thats gone to Daybreak real estate bullshit too.

Bill Murray and the Salt Lake Trappers made fucking history there https://theathletic.com/3544798/2022...s-bill-murray/

[MTRw/CarlSpackler'svoice] HELLO, DERKS FIELD! HOW YOU DOIN’?” [/MTRw/CarlSpackler'svoice]

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    I don't know wtf you are ranting about Woodsy. There is a 100 acres of property to put this field on that'sready for development, an old power plant site. Trax would drop off people right in front of it and some hotels and a downtown nightlife is nearby, also Trax ride away. Frontrunner connecting Ogden and Provo to the staduim is 1-2 trax stop away too. Having a stadium NOT in the suburbs sounds impossible these days, but the Millers are going for it. It's a great spot, the alternative choice rumored was Daybreak that the Milers own and could easily do, everyone was afraid Daybreak would be the first choice.

If you said portland or vancouver would most likely get a team over SLC and it'll never happen because of that, you'd be making some sense.
    Go hang out at the Jordan Commons and imagine that but bigger and get back to me. and yeah everybody wants to hang out on West North Temple, its banging and planes fly over...

I know you love DT SLC. I used to as well but I also lived in bum fuck nowhere Utah at that time. The “big city” was afun experience. But it be a lot nicer though than what it has become now.
    There is construction fucking everywhere and it’s literally never ending. It’s gotten really dirty too. There’s garbage all over the city and who wants to fly into another shithole to watch a game??
    Hell, I rarely bother to go into DT SLC anymore. It’s more expensive on average for outings compared to local restaurants and bars. Parking is finally starting to become a bit of an issue with all the aforementioned construction.

And I find it hilarious you brought up the whiteness of Sandy. All of Utah is super white. And I don’t find it heaven, just a bit nicer than where I previously lived.

The SLC that you loved has changed Woodsy.
    And I can tell you are very mad about it. But don’t go putting down the area you loved just because expansions didn’t happen they way you wanted when you were here. That’s not the Woodsy I know.

I heard the Utah exmos.
    I feel sort of like woodsy, it'll get fucked up somehow. I can't believe Real salt lake ended up in fucking sandy. And I'll be done with the Bees once they are off to west bumfuck or whatever that shitty neighborhood is called ...

I did hear rumors of an NHL team... Coming to play in the delta center...
    I heard...
    sigless.

And if you have never seen Trappers or Bees/Buzz game @ Derks/Covey/Smiths field you are missing out.
    Best view from a baseball field
    The hell you say! Best view in baseball belongs to Ogden Lindquist field, google it!

Edit: SLC is clearly number 2: https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...ball/n-3234844

Are folks from ID, WY & farther going to come to SLC for baseball?!?
    Maybe if the team holds an occasional Crystal Meth night.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
    Your dog just ate an avocado!

Go hang out at the Jordan Commons and imagine that but bigger and get back to me. and yeah everybody wants to hang out on West North Temple, its banging and planes fly over...
    Pretty sure that's not over a flight path for planes and I have no idea what Jordan Commons is. it won't be perfect out there but it will be good and as Buzz said things have changed here, that area is sketch but everything is evolving quickly. I never get your points here, what exactly are we arguing about this for? Baseball should only be in far away suburbs that require everyone long drives to get to and endless concrete lots to match the rest of the MLB? Or only in urban places that have perfect settings because they were built decades ago in neighborhoods and have perfect atmosphere? Does PDX and Vancouver have better settings they have proposed I'd guess? I'll take what I can get here, but you can be damn sure more people will go to a downtown location than fucking Daybreak. And yes, you are right it may end up there, which would suck except for the views of the mountains.

I doubt another 100 acre parcel will ever open up in SLC right off public transit, let's hope the city does something cool like a MLB stadium there and not just more lego-looking mismatched multicolored condos.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The hell you say! Best view in baseball belongs to Ogden Lindquist field, google it!

Edit: SLC is clearly number 2: https://www.oursportscentral.com/ser...ball/n-3234844
    huh, didn't know you guys had a team.

MLB In Salt Lake WTAF?!?

AS some one who has dealt with the hospitality side of UT liquor laws a lot and whose father was actually involved in changing them a bit for the better around the turn of the century, I would definitely say this is on the " This is apples to oranges for a dozen reasons," list
    So we can blame your father for ruining Utah? Everyone used to be afraid of Utah and the Mormons weird liquor laws. Now it’s bro central and every wfh person has moved to the area to ski. Bring back even worse liquor laws than before! Never stopped me from catching a buzz when I wanted.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums