Check Out Our Shop
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    The interwebz are aflame this morning with the limited release of the Salomon QST Echo 106, their touring-focused version of the QST106....a ski that I love and is really what I'm trying to approximate in this "all around" touring ski. But I have to admit... I don't get it. At ~1800g, it's only 100-200g, or AT BEST ~10% lighter than the regular QST106. It's a bit of a head scratcher to me

https://www.evo.com/skis/salomon-qst-echo-106

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...ho-106-Roofbox

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Praxis BC? 131 106 121 for the 180. I have a pair of 190’s. Use them most in the spring
    Ski my 180s most days in Utah. Very intuitive, easy going ski. My pair are about 1700g, so not super light by any means, but that weight helps them in cruddy conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraskier View Post
    The interwebz are aflame this morning with the limited release of the Salomon QST Echo 106, their touring-focused version of the QST106....a ski that I love and is really what I'm trying to approximate in this "all around" touring ski. But I have to admit... I don't get it. At ~1800g, it's only 100-200g, or AT BEST ~10% lighter than the regular QST106. It's a bit of a head scratcher to me

https://www.evo.com/skis/salomon-qst-echo-106

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...ho-106-Roofbox
    Seems to address a similar market that the Hustle series is after. 1700g is about as heavy as I want to go on a dedicated touring ski - but I agree it’s a bit of a head-scratcher to have two skis in such close proximity. I’m sure it skis well at least!

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesNCream View Post
    179 Sierra tour? Seems to be along the lines of what you're looking for and I'm a big fan of the DWT. Progressive mount, no pintail, floats above its waist width, and triple camber grips great on the skin track

132-104-124, 1535g
    FYI I looked into this option (my main touring ski is the DWT which I absolutely love, except skinning up volcanoes on firm snow with a wide, heavy-ish ski is not super fun sometimes) and was told by Moment that the Sierra Tour is quite a bit lighter flex since it’s a women’s version. So be aware if you’re heavier or prefer a stiffer flex. Sounds like there may be a narrower version of the DWT in the works though.

I ended up buying some cambered 183 WNDR Vital 100s on a good sale. Thanks to everyone who chimed in here, and especially for the Vital 100 recommendation which was not on my radar when I started the thread.

I have only skied them one day (yesterday), but they seem awesome so far. My steep skiing (and climbing) ability, on the other hand, leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when it’s firm and exposed. So I’ll focus on gaining skill and experience on that terrain, but I definitely know it’s my problem not the ski. I’m really excited to ski them some more this spring!
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-22-2023 at 02:07 PM.

Curious to hear your thoughts after more days on them Auvgeek. I have a pair of Vital 100s in reverse camber and 183cm, mounted with Voyager XIIs. Pretty psyched on them as my “most serious” touring ski in a bloated quiver, but only a few short tours on them so far.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Curious to hear your thoughts after more days on them Auvgeek. I have a pair of Vital 100s in reverse camber and 183cm, mounted with Voyager XIIs. Pretty psyched on them as my “most serious” touring ski in a bloated quiver, but only a few short tours on them so far.
    yeah, I edited my post to include that I got the cambered version.

I’ll ski ‘em some more and report back! I’m hoping my ski season is only like halfway over.

Offhand, the only thing I’m not yet sold on is the tip height. The rocker profile overall seems reasonable, but the tip height is pretty low. I’ve never owned a ski like it before.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-22-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Anyone tour on Sakanas for their 105mm BC ski?

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Anyone tour on Sakanas for their 105mm BC ski?
    I'd be interested in this too. I plan on getting them to make the morning resort laps more interesting/turnt vs my ravens. They seem they'd also be fun in low angle tight tree skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Relica View Post
    I'd be interested in this too. I plan on getting them to make the morning resort laps more interesting/turnt vs my ravens. They seem they'd also be fun in low angle tight tree skiing.
    Leo Taillefer liked his in very high angle non tree skiing :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBvsaIBsVJY

Really like the enforcer unlimited 104 in this category. I mainly use it when it hasn’t snowed recently, before work resort touring, and spring but does well in pow too for it’s width.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Btw, zabardast is a great movie. Skiing, but also adventure and very realistic, including fear.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Yep, totally badass but somehow relatable. Epic adventure.

Not sure if they’re mentioned up thread, but I just got my C105s from Marshal/Heritage Labs. I haven’t skied them yet. But, the rocker lines are awesome. There is a nice flat spot under-foot that should add some traction on slippery skin tracks (never been an issue w full reverse VW Katanas, but some are concerned). Build quality is great. Weight is awesome as well.

Might be worth getting on the list for Xmas delivery…

While not a proper touring ski, and wider than the others in this lineup, I’ll just mention Praxis MVP.

I’ve done a lot of touring on my old 110s, and yesterday was reminded how solid they are on big fast terrain.

The lack of dramatic side cut and deep but subtle rocker works so well in variable snow.

Mine are ‘heavy’ around 2000gr (187), and I bet a 94 would be a great spring tourer.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Dooley View Post
    Not sure if they’re mentioned up thread, but I just got my C105s from Marshal/Heritage Labs. I haven’t skied them yet. But, the rocker lines are awesome. There is a nice flat spot under-foot that should add some traction on slippery skin tracks (never been an issue w full reverse VW Katanas, but some are concerned). Build quality is great. Weight is awesome as well.

Might be worth getting on the list for Xmas delivery…

have you gotten any ski time on the c105 yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Skiwald View Post
    Really like the enforcer unlimited 104 in this category. I mainly use it when it hasn’t snowed recently, before work resort touring, and spring but does well in pow too for it’s width.

Funny how low this ski flies under the radar, gets little to no love but I love it

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    Funny how low this ski flies under the radar, gets little to no love but I love it

That's probably because when I think of Nordica Enforcer I don't think "that should be my touring ski setup", it's on my radar now as I'm in the market for something.
    seeker of sastrugi

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post

Works for me. It's the Austrian wct108 imo.

Another plug for the Praxis bc. Steady Eddie that one.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    have you gotten any ski time on the c105 yet?
    Not yet! We have some snow here in Wyoming. But, I'm always a little hesitant early season to either shred my new skis, or shred myself. Ullr willing, I'll have some time on them in the next month and will get a full review out. That said, I don't think there's really anything else out there with this shape, weight, and design right now...

Anyone have experience with k2 wayback 106? I can get a pair for extremely cheap. Mount point looks way too far back, would definitely mount way forward. I’ve come to the conclusion that light and stiff is a horrible combo and K2 seems to have light and damp dialed with the reckoner series.

105 waist touring ski shootout?

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Anyone have experience with k2 wayback 106? I can get a pair for extremely cheap. Mount point looks way too far back, would definitely mount way forward. I’ve come to the conclusion that light and stiff is a horrible combo and K2 seems to have light and damp dialed with the reckoner series.
    Interesting on the light and stiff conclusion in that I have old (no recall of year) Wailer 105s in a Pure3 construction. Light, very stiff and flat tail. Slight rocker. I can’t figure out my relationship with them. Haul ass w confidence but need space to shut down. Very not damp (P3) or merciful. Hadn’t really thought about how much more basass they’d be with more weight. I know they did a Hybrid version I wish I’d tried. I still tour w them in the east but carry a lot of speed for tight trees. Lightest ski I have, and perhaps the stiffest.
    Uno mas

Bought a pair of TX103s last season on gear swap that I used a handful of times in the Wasatch last season. Didn’t get out on it a ton but hoping to post some thoughts once I get on them some more. Don’t think I liked them as much as my Backland 100s but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Dooley View Post
    Not yet! We have some snow here in Wyoming. But, I'm always a little hesitant early season to either shred my new skis, or shred myself. Ullr willing, I'll have some time on them in the next month and will get a full review out. That said, I don't think there's really anything else out there with this shape, weight, and design right now...
    I ended up with a pair of 178’s on the way, very much looking forward to having civilized snow depth to start taking them out. Shoot, I’m just excited for them to arrive!

Gravity always wins...