Check Out Our Shop
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38
    To the collective, I'm looking at fat skinny-ish (90ish width) skis for spring touring duties with the occasional steep/techy descents. I'm 172cm/150lbs. Will a ski that's 168cm, ~1200g and moderately rockered be the right size? I'm mainly concerned about the length, but let me know of other factors I'm not thinking of. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    To the collective, I'm looking at fat skinny-ish (90ish width) skis for spring touring duties with the occasional steep/techy descents. I'm 172cm/150lbs. Will a ski that's 168cm, ~1200g and moderately rockered be the right size? I'm mainly concerned about the length, but let me know of other factors I'm not thinking of. Thanks in advance!
    If your priority is nuking down big open corn runs then that would probably be a good size ski. If you will be focusing more on steep and technical skiing you might enjoy something slightly shorter.

1200g will definitely serve you better in difficult spring conditions than a 1-kg ski, IMO 1200g is where skis start calming down at that width when descending. 80-mm, 1200g skis do great, 90-mm probably 1200-1400g is optimal for that width. I'm about the same height, 170lb nekkid and 170 is my short ski for such duties. I'd say you're in the right ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by Pins and Skins View Post
    You are on the right track so long as it isn't actually fully-rockered.

Nope, not fully-rockered. Thanks mags!

Thoughts on ~80mm wide ~1000g weight class skis for Colorado Front Range?

My current lightest and skinniest setup I have is 88mm wide and 1700g, and I am thinking I should probably go for something a bit lighter and skinnier for distant objectives on mostly packed/consolidated snow. More of an “efficient” traverse, approach, & climbing tool than a high-speed grins downhill freeride tool. Would be mostly used for approaching climbs in the Longs-Meeker Cirque and long ridge ski traverses.

For your entertainment, here is a video of Killian Journet descending the Troll Wall on X-Alps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIfhbMVN3fY
    Last edited by Karl_H; 02-16-2024 at 11:00 AM.

@Karl_H at that point, I would start to wonder about fishscales (Voile’s BC versions and the 1 or 2 other models out there).
    Being able to save the hassle of putting skins on can be a big time and energy savings on rolling approaches or ridges.
    My friend has the Objective BC, and the 1 drawback he notes is in steepish, firm side slipping, it is harder to keep going straight downt he fall line due to the scales.

The TGR Skinny Ski Ski Tourers' Refuge Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    at that point, I would start to wonder about fishscales (Voile’s BC versions and the 1 or 2 other models out there).
    Being able to save the hassle of putting skins on can be a big time and energy savings on rolling approaches or ridges.
    As someone who has tried (but never owned) several of the Voile BC models, I feel like the advantages of a scaled base are often not worth the drawbacks; with the exception of people skiing 3-pin or other dedicated freeheel setups.

The reduction in downhill glide with scaled skis is a huge drawback, IMO. Long, slightly downhill exits that are easy with well-waxed, flat base skis become more labor intensive on scaled skis. I also find that I get a lot less run out distance, when trying to carry speed from a steep descent into the flats. For AT skiing, I’d rather focus my efforts on using a narrower ski that provides less uphill skin friction. If I have to switch my boots and bindings over anyway, might as well rip skins too and get better performance across the board. That said, they could be a lot of fun (in certain terrain) with a TTS or 3-pin setup, offering way better downhill control than typical waxless nordic gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Tjaardbreewer:

I don’t think the fish scales is what I want. I am not anticipating a lot of rolling terrain. The valley trails tend to be pretty continuously up or down. The alpine ridge lines are generally wind swept and require frequently carrying skis on the windward side.

skis that come to mind would be salomon mtn summit (i think these can be had pretty cheap and also sure ive seen vids of these used for high altitude mounteering objectives). the atomic backland ul 78 seems like a sweet spot in the class; it can be found cheap and heard its fun (all relative) to ski but also has cap sidewall so -1 for durability. the blizzard zero g lt 80 sounds awesome and has a full sidewall i believe. i have the magico2 and its pretty rad but a bit wider at 85 underfoot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

selling a pair of Atomic ultimate 78 (similar to the modern backland 78) skis in 170cm length for cheap ($125) if anyone is interested. Have had one mount. Listed on skimo gear swap group on FB for now, will put in TGR gear swap in a few days. Happy to send photos and more details if there is interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantana1 View Post
    selling a pair of Atomic ultimate 78 (similar to the modern backland 78) skis in 170cm length for cheap ($125) if anyone is interested. Have had one mount. Listed on skimo gear swap group on FB for now, will put in TGR gear swap in a few days. Happy to send photos and more details if there is interest.
    Nevermind, skis already sold.

Have a pair of Helio 76's for general light & fast spring ski + occasional steeps, considering something a little wider for more float in suboptimal conditions. Purchased used a few years ago as my first lightweight touring ski, it's been a good first step but now doing enough skinny ski days I think it's worth getting something I really like.

Curious to hear from other folks who have (or have had) quiver slots in both the ~75 and 85-90mm width. How much of a difference between the two in wonky snow, and degree of tradeoff in edge hold on steeps (if any)? I'm less concerned with soft snow performance, have a pair of Ravens for midwinter touring I like a lot. Maybe these would end up going out on the longest pow days but that's not really a priority. What I hope could be improved is staying more on top of funky crusts and variable snow where I feel the Helios occasionally get sunk/stuck/locked in.

Seems like there are plenty of good options in the next width up and <= 1.2kg weight class. Alp Tracks 85/90, Zero G 85, Backland 85 UL, Blacklight 88, M-Vertical 88... all of which would add 10mm+ underfoot at the same or less weight. Am I gonna be stoked on any of these? Or is 1 cm underfoot not going to make that much of a difference and I just need to adjust expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by deft_funk View Post
    Have a pair of Helio 76's for general light & fast spring ski + occasional steeps, considering something a little wider for more float in suboptimal conditions. Purchased used a few years ago as my first lightweight touring ski, it's been a good first step but now doing enough skinny ski days I think it's worth getting something I really like.

Curious to hear from other folks who have (or have had) quiver slots in both the ~75 and 85-90mm width. How much of a difference between the two in wonky snow, and degree of tradeoff in edge hold on steeps (if any)? I'm less concerned with soft snow performance, have a pair of Ravens for midwinter touring I like a lot. Maybe these would end up going out on the longest pow days but that's not really a priority. What I hope could be improved is staying more on top of funky crusts and variable snow where I feel the Helios occasionally get sunk/stuck/locked in.

Seems like there are plenty of good options in the next width up and <= 1.2kg weight class. Alp Tracks 85/90, Zero G 85, Backland 85 UL, Blacklight 88, M-Vertical 88... all of which would add 10mm+ underfoot at the same or less weight. Am I gonna be stoked on any of these? Or is 1 cm underfoot not going to make that much of a difference and I just need to adjust expectations?
    Nothing that small/narrow will ski crap snow well. Backlands are the most approachable, balanced (not dumb stiff for the weight) ski in that range IMO. Mverts have a good rep but seem to be discontinued?

As an alternative, backland 78ul is a weirdly good little stick. I would never dd it though, it's a spring traverse/alpinism/volcano ski.
    Last edited by Westcoaster; 04-28-2024 at 11:04 AM.

Maybe Marshal will do another run off C90s, surprisingly capable in all sorts of terrible snow, very good in soft snow and good grip on firm snow

Just purchased new Stockli Stormrider Lights (78mm underfoot) for less than 3 bills. Will mount with Ion LT and inserts. Know nothing about them, but the price was right. Basically bought them for hiking to the Castle and Baldy, and pre-season hikes up Collins. Probably not a great option for one [touring] ski quiver, but might be perfect to share with inserted surfboards (like my Sanouks).
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I don't have any recent experience with skis in the ~75 mm width, but I do notice a big difference between my 88 and 96 mm width skis in variable snow. For a marginal weight penalty, the 96 waist skis are so much better in punchy crusts, funky mank, and occasional powder. I do not feel they compromise in firm conditions, but I do notice a bit more torque on my hips when skinning firm crusts. Take that for what it's worth....

Have a pair of Helio 76's for general light & fast spring ski + occasional steeps, considering something a little wider for more float in suboptimal conditions. ... Or is 1 cm underfoot not going to make that much of a difference and I just need to adjust expectations?
    I have no personal experience on the Helio skis but they certainly seem to favor weight savings over skiing performance in bad snow. You should gain a lot of ski-ability moving up to the 85-90mm waist category. For that reason over the last few years 90mm was my skinniest ski although I picked up some Backland 86SL this year (yet to mount them tho) as anything skinnier seems to be too big a tradeoff in performance for my spring skiing objectives. I don't think you'll lose any functional edge hold on steeps at any of these waist widths.

If you bump your weight class to 1400g you could consider skis like the Volkl BMT90 or Faction La Machine Micro. 1400g seems to be pretty magic for skiing performance but still quite light with a race style binding. If you want to stay on top of junk snow and crusts you are probably better off with minimal camber and a long sidecut like the BMT series, some of the HL, etc.

I've tried a lot of skinny skis and found that performance starts to decline much more steeply once you get below 90mm and 1300g. You really don't gain anything in terms of downhill when you go below 90mm underfoot in any backcountry conditions. I love skiing on skinny skis still, my lightest are the Atomic UL85 and they get a lot of use. I also have BMT94s and the extra 400g per ski and ~cm of width underfoot is very noticeable on the up and down. There are so many 85mm+ skis that clock in around 1kg like the Atomic and Movement 85s, that it really isn't worth saving a handful of grams to drop down below 80mm underfoot. The extra width is very noticeable and helps tremendously in wild snow.

i bought a pair of solomon summit 79 last spring to take to the sierra. Were great on corn and hard packed sucked on everything else. Would agree with Benneke10. Than I watch my son ski everything on a pair of Wasatch speed projects and maybe I just need to be a better skier.
    off your knees Louie

Did anyone get out on the faction la machine micro? Those look pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6ytL-tdk14 this is a review of the mini, I haven’t seen the micro reviewed.

Thanks all, super helpful.

Definitely seems like bumping up in width is the right call. And the Helio's aren't especially light (1200g I think for the 171?) especially with Backlands on them, so new setup could drop significant weight even if wider.

I'm not concerned enough about downhill performance to be all that interested in a 1400g ski for this spot in my quiver. I'm sure it goes down better, just too much overlap with my Ravens for any days I'm not as focused on the ups. There are basically zero days on the Ravens I wish for something lighter—skinny ski days are pretty clear in advance based on objective and/or touring partner so I know what to grab. And I think for these days, happiness from dropping ~1lb per foot > happiness from a damper, heavier ski. Maybe there's a future 3rd ski in the quiver in the 95-100 range and more emphasis on the down... but not what I'm after right now.

Have a fairly specific idea of what I'm looking for but not overly attached to any given ski. Figure I'll probably piece something together based on this info and keep an eye on spring sales, but if anyone's looking to unload a setup in good/very good shape (low 170's length)... I might be interested