Check Out Our Shop
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Tool Time

That’s so good to know. I actually feel the sram one I have seals better (I am assuming because of the O ring) and have been using it even though I have both. Good to know it can do some damage, will be switching back!

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    The threads of the fittings are the same, but the smooth piece below it & tapered tip are different lengths, at least in the current SRAM Pro Bleed Kit. So it will work in an emergency but not seal great, and it's possible to advance the SRAM ones past the bottom of the Hayes bleed port threads and fuck things up. Ask me how I know...

That said, the fittings in the Park Tool DOT bleed kit work fine.

With the Hayes one, they rely on bottoming out to fully seal. In their video, they say to tighten with fingers, then use a Knipex or something to give it just a little bit more to bottom out the conical tip on the machined recess in the bleed port.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I’ve had great success spreading pads with a Pedro’s tire lever. Sometimes I even use it for tires.

Also, why can’t you goons use a $7 digital Chinesium caliper? Probably splurge and get an $18 one! You guys building Atomic Clocks?

Limited-time deal: Digital Caliper, Adoric 0-6" Calipers Measuring Tool - Electronic Micrometer Caliper with Large LCD Screen, Auto-Off Feature, Inch and Millimeter Conversion
    https://a.co/d/4t8sesA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I just got a set of these 3d printed piston spreaders. They work so well, much better than levering with piston spreader or tire lever.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1554333...e_feat_3&sts=1

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    I just got a set of these 3d printed piston spreaders. They work so well, much better than levering with piston spreader or tire lever.
    nice simple idea.

$25 shipping to CND. fuck

Looks like the creator makes the files available for free: https://www.printables.com/en/model/...iston-spreader

Find someone with a 3d printer, visit a library with one, or use an online service that will print (or ask the guy if he can figure out a cheaper way to mail something small and light since it looks like he's mostly doing this as a hobby).

SRAM Universal Bleed Block #11.5018.059.002. It's only $11.00 and works great.

This was covered a month ago on Escape Collective New Tool Day

This bottom one replaces all the older version. It's now gaining some attention because its included with the newly (yesterday) released SRAM RED group/brake sets. It's actually been quietly out for almost a year.
    Photos from the Escape Collective's tool guru Dave Rome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SRAM-Universal-Brake-Bleed-Block-and-Piston-Press-new-tools-day-dave-rome-1.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	339.7 KB 
ID:	493751

Name:	SRAM-Universal-Brake-Bleed-Block-and-Piston-Press-new-tools-day-dave-rome-4.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	493750

Hey Dee/etc, what are you guys using for blind bearing pullers? I bought some absolute shit on Amazon. Returning ASAP.
    I can get the Wheels Manufacturing, anything else better out there?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have some sizes of the WheelsMF extractors, they are good. I like them when I can strike the tool with a drift punch from the back side. I kinda wish I had a full set of these, I missed the full set of 11 when they went on closeout from QBP, it was a killer deal.
    I also have a set of Peadling Tools Blind pullers with a big slide hammer. It's identical to the Enduro BBT-100. This is great when I can fully support the frame part and slam the slide hammer to remove the bearings.
    I have various presses, I have bunch from BearingProTools.com when they first stared up. I prefer to press a bearing when ever I can, but more and more bike have bearings that are set blind, back to back bearings or BSB (bearings, spacer bearing).

I'm really tempted to buy a full set of bearing presses from https://www.altalt.ca their stuff looks very clever, its Canadian, their parts are made from Acetal, and he has so many instructional videos and diagrams. He wants people to understand how to press out bearings, he does not want water keep the trade secrets.

Thanks Dee, that's perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by NT View Post
    I’d been contemplating whether I could cut up some wallpaper/decal squeegees to make a half assed version of the SRAM spread, but yeah that looks much better.

When everyone talks about their magic knipex, do you mean the wrench pliers I assume? Which size is most useful? Thanks!

Speaking of 3D printing, I was thinking on a ride about how I could design a little doo-hickey that would hold a Shimano derailleur ‘open’ for wheel removal, like the brilliant SRAM ‘ button’. Have any of you seen anything like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer123 View Post
    When everyone talks about their magic knipex, do you mean the wrench pliers I assume? Which size is most useful? Thanks!
    I use the 7 1/4” the most. Also love the twin grips for some stripped bolt heads

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I have some sizes of the WheelsMF extractors, they are good. I like them when I can strike the tool with a drift punch from the back side. I kinda wish I had a full set of these, I missed the full set of 11 when they went on closeout from QBP, it was a killer deal.
    I also have a set of Peadling Tools Blind pullers with a big slide hammer. It's identical to the Enduro BBT-100. This is great when I can fully support the frame part and slam the slide hammer to remove the bearings.
    I have various presses, I have bunch from BearingProTools.com when they first stared up. I prefer to press a bearing when ever I can, but more and more bike have bearings that are set blind, back to back bearings or BSB (bearings, spacer bearing).

I'm really tempted to buy a full set of bearing presses from https://www.altalt.ca their stuff looks very clever, its Canadian, their parts are made from Acetal, and he has so many instructional videos and diagrams. He wants people to understand how to press out bearings, he does not want water keep the trade secrets.
    This one piece I didn't mention, that I use a lot. Its a simple:
    PVC SCH 40 1-1/2 x 1-1/4 reducer.

Name:	IMG_2860.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	591.5 KB 
ID:	493963

This fits a freehub or a Center lock exterior ring perfectly. It's so handy when punching out bearings in hubs or free hubs. It can be placed flat on the bench, or held in a vice, or use the bearing press to push against.

Freehub inserted:

Name:	IMG_2862.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	827.2 KB 
ID:	493961

Centerlock inserted:

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	750.2 KB 
ID:	493962

you know what would be really good is a macgyver thread

you know where you fix the bike with something laying around and get the girl all in 42 minutes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Looks like the creator makes the files available for free: https://www.printables.com/en/model/...iston-spreader

Find someone with a 3d printer, visit a library with one, or use an online service that will print (or ask the guy if he can figure out a cheaper way to mail something small and light since it looks like he's mostly doing this as a hobby).
    I printed a couple and just tried them out, they're pretty efficient. You can leave them wedged in there while you wait for the fluid to relocate and you get the rest of your shit together.

I did a resin print with some tough ABS plastic. I'd worry if they were printed with traditional resin they might be a little too brittle for the force you'll be applying.

If anyone in SLC wants a set I'll print them for cost.

Last edited by Touring_Sedan; 05-24-2024 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    The Dee Hubbs Abby Truing Stand Purchase Date Pool has begun.

$5 entry. Pick a date and whoever is closest wins the pool. Because it's not if. It's when.

Because no one needs that stand. But we all NEED it, ya know?

I'm taking June 6th.
    Hey Dee didja buy the truing stand yet?

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Hey Dee didja buy the truing stand yet?
    No, I buy from Abbey during the Black Friday deals, its the only time a year they have a sale.

I just ordered the new Feedback Sports Team Edition Tool Kit, well just the empty tool bag. I'll fill it with my own tools. Because I really need a 4th full tool kit...

I just got some new small pieces from Birzman. A Brake Pad Wear indicator, a Rotor Wear Indicator, and their Razor Clam to align calipers and rotors.
    I guess I prefer death by 1000 paper cuts instead of a single $1500 Truing Stand.

I just purchased some plywood to rebuild the wall that all my tools hang on, so I need to do a big reshuffle/organization of the tools hanging only my garage wall, thats next

BTW, the SRAM Universal piston press/bleed block (the red plastic one, not the alu one) that was linked a while ago works great. Used it with my Dominions the other day installing new pads and it was near perfect (only issue was the hole for pin bolt is too small for Hayes, but didn't need it).

Dee please provide an update on the Razor Clam. I loathe dicking around trying to get rid of minor brake rub and would happily pay 10 bucks to minimize that.

Does anyone make a y-tool with a combo of heads, but not complete shit butter-metal like the Park?
    I wish I had two specific types, one with t25, 4mm and 5mm hex, and maybe one other?
    I also wish I could get a good y with 2.5, 3mm, and 4mm hex. (For Shimano lever bleeds)

But only if they have truly high quality hardened steel.
    I tried Pedro’s, Union, Wera so far, no luck.

I guess I could tig weld my own.

EDIT: Found a good solution, this thing with a wera bit kit.

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	494210

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Dee please provide an update on the Razor Clam. I loathe dicking around trying to get rid of minor brake rub and would happily pay 10 bucks to minimize that.
    I've used their Clam for years and love it. I just bought the Razor Clam so I can also use the inner part to center the pads before I mount the caliper and set them over the rotor.
    I use the clam on cheaper set ups where aligning the cheap brakes are a pain in the ass. I also like to use it on specific set ups where tightening the bolts turns the caliper when you try to tighten.
    My bike shop mechanic laughed at me for ordering it, and I left it with him to use a for a bit, and he ordered one himself.

How's that compare to the Hayes one? I much prefer the Hayes one to the regular Clams because it's easier to stuff it between a rotor and fresh pads, but my Hayes thing is starting to look a bit scraggly (the 2 thin metal sheets are a bit bent).

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Does anyone make a y-tool with a combo of heads, but not complete shit butter-metal like the Park?
    I wish I had two specific types, one with t25, 4mm and 5mm hex, and maybe one other?
    I also wish I could get a good y with 2.5, 3mm, and 4mm hex. (For Shimano lever bleeds)

But only if they have truly high quality hardened steel.
    I tried Pedro’s, Union, Wera so far, no luck.

I guess I could tig weld my own.

EDIT: Found a good solution, this thing with a wera bit kit.

Name:	IMG_1743.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	494210
    Park Tool makes a 3-Way 4mm, 5mm, 25T. Its the AWS-7

Lezyne use to make a 3 way with replaceable bits, but it's discontinued, so even buying ti from a retailer who still has it in stock is useless because by the time it wears out you can't get the bits.
    There are not that many other good options for 3-ways with interchangeable bits.

I use a super cheap generic 3-way, that I really should replace, because the bits are worn and I'm sure the tolerances are not even close. It's just so comfortable and muscle memory in my hand loves it. I've had it longer than any other bike tool I own.

I recently purchased an Abbey Tools 4-Way (It's like the 6 minute abs vs 7 minute abs joke) . But I can't get use to it, or I dont grab it often because of there it hangs on the wall. I just grab the 3 way all the time.
    I custom set it up with 3mm, 4mm, 5mm and a magnet socket hole on the 4tgh spot, and then have a Wera bit kit (Christmas Advent style) with all the other corresponding bits. I usually leave it set it up 3,4,5,25. As you can see I can also put all the smaller bits in there or even a bigger 6mm or a non high torque 8mm.
    I think I can like this, I just need to force myself to grab the Abbey, a lot of mechanics say once they get use to it, it becomes second nature on how to grip it and spin it.
    BUT I like the idea of the Prestacycle Magnetic 3-way.....

Here is my Abbey 4-Way with my Christmas bit kit. The 2 pieces fit in my pockets when I'm "in the pits" and need a quick tool.

Name:	IMG_2930.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	844.8 KB 
ID:	494220