Check Out Our Shop
Page 534 of 538 FirstFirst ... 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 LastLast
Results 13,326 to 13,350 of 13435

Thread: Ask the experts

Hah you know what’s funny it seems like there are more guys our size (I’m 5’ 8” 140 lbs) here in Sprocket Rockets than TGR as a whole … maybe I’ll start doing gear swap threads in Sprocket Rockets

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

That’s pretty funny. Chking in at 5’8 150

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Apologies if there is already a thread about this, couldn't find one.

This season is likely to include much more bike park riding than ever for me, and I might enter some enduro races as well. Any recommendations for chest/back armor for these two use cases? It seems like the two main categories of torso protection these days are under-the-jersey garments with pads built in, and moto-style roost guards. Any reason I should go with one over the other? Any particular recs for a skinny boi (5'9" 135lbs)? Thanks!
    I find the pads-built-in pressure suit type of thing to be really hot. The protection is great, and they definitely saved me in some falls, but I stopped wearing them because they're pretty miserable to wear.

Ask the experts

Anyone know how to get the main pivot axle out on a GG Gnarvana? It looks like that wedge piece was supposed to come out with the bolt, but mine stayed in place.

Edit: Seems like the c clip that’s behind the wedge might be fucked?
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Hah you know what’s funny it seems like there are more guys our size (I’m 5’ 8” 140 lbs) here in Sprocket Rockets than TGR as a whole … maybe I’ll start doing gear swap threads in Sprocket Rockets
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    That’s pretty funny. Chking in at 5’8 150
    5'7" 145 haha. I'm a freak with a 33" inseam though. Good for biking I guess but bad for buying pants and shorts!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

5’10” 145 here…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Toddball View Post
    Apologies if there is already a thread about this, couldn't find one.

This season is likely to include much more bike park riding than ever for me, and I might enter some enduro races as well. Any recommendations for chest/back armor for these two use cases? It seems like the two main categories of torso protection these days are under-the-jersey garments with pads built in, and moto-style roost guards. Any reason I should go with one over the other? Any particular recs for a skinny boi (5'9" 135lbs)? Thanks!
    This is one I'm looking at for Enduro rides: https://ixs.com/us/mtb/mtb-equipment...otective-black

It looks pretty ventilated and on the pedal up I'll just undo one of the side straps to let it breathe a bit better.

When riding bike park I prefer the full pressure suit since it has more protection and heat isn't as much of a problem since there's a lift.

3 rides in one of my new Formula Cura 4 calipers began leaking, causing oil everywhere and loss of the front brake. I pulled it apart and checked the lines, re-bled, and was able to determine there is leakage around the edges of the pistons when I push the lever.

a) this is clearly a warranty issue right? Or could I have done something to cause this?

b) any experience with Formula’s USA customer service?

c) how hard would it be to just replace the piston seals myself? They’re like 15 dollars online but I don’t see instructions anywhere. Would I just gently push out the pistons and pop in the new seals or is there more to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by meepmoop24 View Post
    This is one I'm looking at for Enduro rides: https://ixs.com/us/mtb/mtb-equipment...otective-black

It looks pretty ventilated and on the pedal up I'll just undo one of the side straps to let it breathe a bit better.

When riding bike park I prefer the full pressure suit since it has more protection and heat isn't as much of a problem since there's a lift.
    Similar size to you and went through this last spring (no racing, but big days in bike park also involving some pedalling plus shuttle and pedal days in places like Finale).

In the end I got this, and after a season of use I would again: https://www.pocsports.com/collection...41481183690904

I found it to have much more padding/impact absorption than the roost guards, which seem(ed) to be more about penetration protection. I have no issue wearing it on days where I might be pedalling 5-800 m vert myself on top of lift or shuttle ascents, but I don't wear it on days where I'm only pedalling (which for me often means climbing 1000+ vert metres in one hit).

Side zip makes it super easy to get on and off, and and actually works quite well for ventilation too if you take your jersey off.

5'9" 155 pounds here, lol

I have a somewhat specific bib question for any connoisseur out there: does anyone know of modern bibs that are as similar as possible to the old classic Verge Elite Euro ones? I have a branded pair from the shop I used to work at that are literally perfect for me in every way, but they've had over a decade of heavy use and I can't help but think of how nasty they must be at this point. They're perfect fitting (I'm 6'2, 185, size XL), the fabric is super soft and light, good chammy, nice and cool, good leg grippers, and no nipple chaffing. I can spend all day in them and it's not an issue at all, whereas other bibs I have tried I can't wait to get them off.

I use these almost exclusively for mountain biking with shorts over the top so emphasis is on comfort not aerodynamics or abrasion resistance. I tried some cheaper urban cycling apparel ones and they are total ball crushers whenever I stand up, and I have to basically be a contortionist if I want to pee with them on. So mainly looking for something with really soft stretchy fabric ideally not over $150. Verge sells the newer Strike ones without requiring custom orders but I have no idea how similar those are to my old beloved ones. Was also looking at the Rapha core cargo or Castelli unimited cargo since they're both on sale right now and the pockets could be nice. Anyway open to recs even if you aren't able to answer my very specific comparison question...
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    3 rides in one of my new Formula Cura 4 calipers began leaking, causing oil everywhere and loss of the front brake. I pulled it apart and checked the lines, re-bled, and was able to determine there is leakage around the edges of the pistons when I push the lever.

a) this is clearly a warranty issue right? Or could I have done something to cause this?

b) any experience with Formula’s USA customer service?

c) how hard would it be to just replace the piston seals myself? They’re like 15 dollars online but I don’t see instructions anywhere. Would I just gently push out the pistons and pop in the new seals or is there more to it?

So actually it turns out the leak may be from the hose connection to the caliper and the fluid leaking from the pistons is only visible because they push too far out when I test it without pads. I did notice that the hose was coming in to the caliper at a pretty severe angle when I installed the brake and corrected it later. Ordered a new hose and hoping that fixes it. I will say Formula responded to my email 8 hours later so that’s a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I have a somewhat specific bib question for any connoisseur out there: does anyone know of modern bibs that are as similar as possible to the old classic Verge Elite Euro ones? I have a branded pair from the shop I used to work at that are literally perfect for me in every way, but they've had over a decade of heavy use and I can't help but think of how nasty they must be at this point. They're perfect fitting (I'm 6'2, 185, size XL), the fabric is super soft and light, good chammy, nice and cool, good leg grippers, and no nipple chaffing. I can spend all day in them and it's not an issue at all, whereas other bibs I have tried I can't wait to get them off.

I use these almost exclusively for mountain biking with shorts over the top so emphasis is on comfort not aerodynamics or abrasion resistance. I tried some cheaper urban cycling apparel ones and they are total ball crushers whenever I stand up, and I have to basically be a contortionist if I want to pee with them on. So mainly looking for something with really soft stretchy fabric ideally not over $150. Verge sells the newer Strike ones without requiring custom orders but I have no idea how similar those are to my old beloved ones. Was also looking at the Rapha core cargo or Castelli unimited cargo since they're both on sale right now and the pockets could be nice. Anyway open to recs even if you aren't able to answer my very specific comparison question...
    I was told to size bibs so the straps pull on my shoulders when I stand up but feel right when I lean forward as in a riding position

Something else i recently noticed, bibs not cut low enough at the front, they should be low enough at the front so I can piss over the top cuz I don't wana take my jersey off to get the straps down everytime I wana take a leak, my Castelli bibs are really low, my Kraft less so I think you wana look out for this cuz I have seen some that are too high IMO so look out for that

I try mine on in person, I woudn't buy bibs on line
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I was told to size bibs so the straps pull on my shoulders when I stand up but feel right when I lean forward as in a riding position

Something else i recently noticed, bibs not cut low enough at the front, they should be low enough at the front so I can piss over the top cuz I don't wana take my jersey off to get the straps down everytime I wana take a leak, my Castelli bibs are really low, my Kraft less so I think you wana look out for this cuz I have seen some that are too high IMO so look out for that

I try mine on in person, I woudn't buy bibs on line
    Yeah I know that's the correct sizing, but I like them to be comfortable standing up too since bike days often involve more than just riding. Skinny wise I'm a M or L, but I usually go XL in bibs for height reasons. And yes being able to pee without taking my shirt off is a must

I checked some local shops and the selection was pretty weak, otherwise def agree trying them on solves all of these concerns
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Well done, man... well done indeed.
    Results are in. The mud won. https://imgur.com/a/LI1jlr7

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Yep.

The mud *always* wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Oh shit! Good work Man, looks like conditions were "character building", hahaha!
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

My 11 year old is now going to inherit a bike from mom.... I need a new dropper. Bike is a 2017ish Transition Scout, so 31.6 mm seatpost tube.
    I was thinking the PNW Loam to be able to adjust down from the 125mm drop and make it longer as she grows, but it is $275 with a lever.. Anything better value? I'm willing to spend that, just don't want to leave too much money on the table.

I also don't mind easy shimming someone else's product, the loam just is so easy to adjust.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Lots of sales right now shop around. Pnw or oneup are both good.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    My 11 year old is now going to inherit a bike from mom.... I need a new dropper. Bike is a 2017ish Transition Scout, so 31.6 mm seatpost tube.
    I was thinking the PNW Loam to be able to adjust down from the 125mm drop and make it longer as she grows, but it is $275 with a lever.. Anything better value? I'm willing to spend that, just don't want to leave too much money on the table.

I also don't mind easy shimming someone else's product, the loam just is so easy to adjust.

The one up v2s are like 185 on the website and then their lever is 44 (excluding clamp). There's a 120 you can shim down plus a 90 if it needs to be really short.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    The one up v2s are like 185 on the website and then their lever is 44 (excluding clamp). There's a 120 you can shim down plus a 90 if it needs to be really short.
    Thanks, this is one of the reasons I love this place still.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

I'm swapping a set of SRAM G2 brakes for some Shimano XTs from the Planet Cyclery sale. I'm planning to keep using the SRAM Rotors and didn't order new adapters.

Will I die if I use the SRAM bolts on the Shimano calipers? I'm thinking no, but I'll want to keep the SRAM spherical washers on for the length to be correct, right?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I'm swapping a set of SRAM G2 brakes for some Shimano XTs from the Planet Cyclery sale. I'm planning to keep using the SRAM Rotors and didn't order new adapters.

Will I die if I use the SRAM bolts on the Shimano calipers? I'm thinking no, but I'll want to keep the SRAM spherical washers on for the length to be correct, right?
    yes, you definately are going to die. It will work just how you are thinking, dont change anything other the caliper in the equation.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Clamp, Lever, and dropper still comes up to like $250, but it's good stuff so will likely pull the trigger.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    yes, you definately are going to die. It will work just how you are thinking, dont change anything other the caliper in the equation.
    Thanks, like grskier said, this thread is one of the good ones!