Check Out Our Shop
Page 536 of 543 FirstFirst ... 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 ... LastLast
Results 13,376 to 13,400 of 13569

Thread: Ask the experts

The SLX 7100 series lever blade is: Y2S798010 (right) or Y2S798020 (Left)
    The XT 8100 series is: Y2RR98010 (R.H.) Y2RR98020 (L.H.)
    The XTR 9120 series is: Y1XK98010 (must use the spring from your 7100 lever)
    XTR 9100 Race lever will not work.

(Photos are back the way I can easily do them on my desktop)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 23.10.43.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	493055

Use a pick to remove the little rubber plug (4) on the lever axle fixing screw (4). That fixing screw hold the lever axle (2) in place, and you can push the lever axle (2) out once the fixing screw is backed out (or removed).
    The little return spring is Left or Right specific, so if you buy an opposite side lever blade (or a 9120 lever) you'll need to remove that spring from your old broken lever blade.

Put the lever axle back in between the lever body and half way though the lever blade, slide the spring in front of the lever body, and line up the spring hole with the axle, push the axle home, put the fixing screw back in to secure the lever axle, put the rubber plug back over the fixing screw, go ride.

This YouTube video shows how to do it, not the best video, but you'll get the point. Skipped to 3:30 to avoid the fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    Fox is seriously bad for a consumer to submit warranty claims. They hardly ever reply to emails, etc. Best bet is to have a shop submit it for you if they're willing to, they have a special dealer service request form on their B2B platforms.

Truly is sad how bad Fox is with their warranty process, whereas rockshox will have your stuff back to you in a week-ish.
    FWIW, Fox turned around my X2 in March in about a week and responded to a follow-up email in April in a day or so.

They didn’t have to do any work on it though as they just sent me a brand new one. I wonder if they didn’t even bother trying to diagnose as they know a bunch of those shocks are bad.

Bike feels significantly better now…my shock must have been junk from day 1 and I just didn’t know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    FWIW, Fox turned around my X2 in March in about a week and responded to a follow-up email in April in a day or so.

They didn’t have to do any work on it though as they just sent me a brand new one. I wonder if they didn’t even bother trying to diagnose as they know a bunch of those shocks are bad.

Bike feels significantly better now…my shock must have been junk from day 1 and I just didn’t know any better.
    Mine to 6 weeks for the same thing. Email response was timely though. Might depend on time of year etc...

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Shimano cassette and chain durability. What's the sweet spot? Deore, XT? I think this was covered up-thread, searched, couldn't find it.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Chains are one area where XTR is surprisingly well priced, and worth it.
    XT for cassette
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I posted earlier but looks like it deleted when I tried to edit …

I broke a few SLX levers then bought the Flo Motorsports levers. They’re definitely more durable (the Shimano's are designed to bend which might be a good thing). The Flo’s feel solid and are longer which gives a bit more leverage.

Might be a good option if you can’t find a Shimano lever or feel like spending a few bucks for a minor upgrade.
    Those Flos look pretty sweet. Nice design.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    Chains are one area where XTR is surprisingly well priced, and worth it.
    XT for cassette
    Fact. Xtr chains ftw

Yeah those are dura-ace chains, get it straight!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Yeah those are dura-ace chains, get it straight!
    Roadie

Any solid signs of updates to either XTR or XT?

I’ve been kinda assuming we’d see XTR prior to the Olympics and it’s clear fewer companies are stocking Shimano… but that’s not certain.

Hoping for a mechanical XTR update but mainly just want transmission alternatives. Current Shimano stuff is fine and still my current drivetrain of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    Any solid signs of updates to either XTR or XT?

I’ve been kinda assuming we’d see XTR prior to the Olympics and it’s clear fewer companies are stocking Shimano… but that’s not certain.

Hoping for a mechanical XTR update but mainly just want transmission alternatives. Current Shimano stuff is fine and still my current drivetrain of choice.
    I don't see any real updates coming to XTR in the near future.
    Tough to improve on perfection.

But seriously, other than electric, which they already did once, what's to improve?
    Shimano isn't a, "get this year's new shiny stuff out" kind of company. Leave that shit to SRAM. Transmission may be shiny, new, and cool, but better? I don't see it. It's not faster, lighter, or reliable-er. Definitely more complicated.
    There has to be a real tangible improvement before Shimano introduces new product or even updates current ones.

But seriously, other than electric, which they already did once, what's to improve?
    Shimano isn't a, "get this year's new shiny stuff out" kind of company. Leave that shit to SRAM. Transmission may be shiny, new, and cool, but better? I don't see it. It's not faster, lighter, or reliable-er. Definitely more complicated.
    There has to be a real tangible improvement before Shimano introduces new product or even updates current ones.
    Waiting on Shimano GRX 12 speed Di2 to be released.

Experts, not really a tech question, more of a general thing. Ms Boissal wants to get a bike to putz around the neighborhood, go to the gym, get light groceries, etc... Nothing fancy but since she plans on using it with a baby seat I don't want to get some old POS off Craigslist or KSL that requires 10 hours of work to barely function.
    I don't think she wants anything too serious so a road bike is out of the question. Maybe a more relaxed gravel steed would work? I know nothing of cruiser/town bikes which seem like they'd fit the bill pretty well and that's what she mentioned at first. I don't get the feeling you'd want to pedal too far on one of these anyway, they seem fun to go 3 blocks but maybe not much more than that. She has a fancy mountain bike but wants to keep that for trails only.
    Thoughts or recommendations appreciated!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Experts, not really a tech question, more of a general thing. Ms Boissal wants to get a bike to putz around the neighborhood, go to the gym, get light groceries, etc... Nothing fancy but since she plans on using it with a baby seat I don't want to get some old POS off Craigslist or KSL that requires 10 hours of work to barely function.
    I don't think she wants anything too serious so a road bike is out of the question. Maybe a more relaxed gravel steed would work? I know nothing of cruiser/town bikes which seem like they'd fit the bill pretty well and that's what she mentioned at first. I don't get the feeling you'd want to pedal too far on one of these anyway, they seem fun to go 3 blocks but maybe not much more than that. She has a fancy mountain bike but wants to keep that for trails only.
    My wife has an earlier version of what became this bike to fill that sort of role: https://www.bikeconnection.net/produ...c&gad_source=1

Hard to find them as diamondback is shitting the bed, but for a while there were a lot of them out there for cheap (this shop seems to still have a few). One of the rental outfits in Glacier National Park was using the current version and they seemed to hold up.

That 9sp shimano drivetrain works fine unless you have steep hills (then may want a smaller chainring or to see if it could fit a bigger cassette). Those tektros are decent hydraulic brakes for the purpose. 27.5 wheels with oversized slick tires gives a smooth city ride, especially for smaller size riders. Color scheme is "cute" with yellow frame and gumwall tires. Has rack/fender mount points.

Are there things you could upgrade? Sure. I don't think it is worth it at MSRP, but if heavily discounted it is pretty slick.

You don't want to go full "cruiser" but this sort of "urban" genre of flatbar bike is a pretty good general purpose town bike. Something like a Specialized Sirrus X 3.0 is roughly similar but with deore 10s and 700x42c wheels.

I mean a few things:
    1. Brakes could use an update
    2. They’ve done some interesting stuff with Linkglide. I wonder what they could do for improved shift ramps for XTR?
    3. I want a little more durability in the RD…

commuter oriented ebike with fenders and racks like a trek allant? most models are on sale right now but also still not cheap

or a kona rove, those are also on sale. steel, has mounts for whatever you want to put on it
    https://www.konaworld.com/products/rove

get one while they last/kona still exists

Thanks for the beta, those Konas look good, same for the Diamondback. Mother's day gift here we come!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

I've been looking at something like a Specialized Sirrus X for my sometimes bike riding wife. She likes the idea, doesn't love the occasional spill on a mtb, and I don't think will love the aggressive body position of a road/gravel bike.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I've been looking at something like a Specialized Sirrus X for my sometimes bike riding wife. She likes the idea, doesn't love the occasional spill on a mtb, and I don't think will love the aggressive body position of a road/gravel bike.
    That's what I just got actually, a Sirrus X3. Huge discount for the limited sizes left, got it for $700 instead of $1200. I would have gotten an X4 to stay in the Shimano ecosystem but they come with FutureShock and Ms Boissal absolutely hates the feeling of it when she rides my gravel bike.

My commuter is a Kona Dew. 1x10 (clutched), hydro discs, 650b tires (47mm). Aluminum frame. Super fun/zippy bike that I've taken on some gravel and green (somewhat rocky) singletrack.

Modified with shorter stem/wider/taller bars and knobbier tires (conti terra trail) for my gravelly commute. Converted to tubeless, 30 PSI gives some decent tire suspension.

Fender and rack mounts, two bottle mounts, top tube bag mount. So many mounts.

Looks like 13 speed wireless coming from Shimano
    crab in my shoe mouth

I really hope it stays on the roadie side.

They apply for thousands of pattens, and the media pick on a few stores and really run with the story.

Google "Shimano Patent"
    1000 articles come up. The headlines read:

Shimano will come out with a gearbox transmission.
    Shimano patent wireless brakes
    Shimano patent applied for ABS braking
    Shimano Files Patent for Direct-Mount Rear Derailleur with
    Shimano's new patent suggests a rear mech is in the works with increased ground clearance and improved wide ratio compatibility.
    Shimano's latest patent filings, electronic dropper posts
    Shimano has filed a patent for an ABS braking system for bike
    Shimano patent is entitled “Drive unit for human-powered vehicle and battery holding device of human-powered vehicle"
    The patent is set to expire in September of 2019, so could Shimano be working on a drivetrain that jumps 2 gears past SRAM Eagle?
    Shimano power meter SPD-SL pedals patent revealed
    A Shimano patent aims to make mountain biking more comfortable and efficient with AI and machine learning.
    Shimano Patent Narrow-Wide Chainring that allows shifting in 2x and 3x systems
    Operating Device [Battery-less, Wireless Shifter] by Shimano

Yeah, I don’t care either way. I like SRAM, just putting it out there.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I’m pretty darn happy with Eagle… I just can’t get onboard with wireless stuff for most of my riding. I do a lot of Bikepacking and long rides and the benefits don’t outweigh the potential for a really tough situation. If I wasn’t regularly more than 30 miles from a car I’d feel differently. Transmission would be fine on the “big bike”.

XO1 Eagle - hard to fault it. The 10-52 cassette is dumb but 10-50 is a solid setup.
    XT - fine but the RD is overly soft
    XTR - the current pick

Yeah, I don’t care either way. I like SRAM, just putting it out there.