Check Out Our Shop
Page 520 of 542 FirstFirst ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 ... LastLast
Results 12,976 to 13,000 of 13550

Thread: Ask the experts

What happened to the 2 I sent you? Pull the one off the Gnarvana and just get some new double 3M tape.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    I just broke my sram level ult brake lever housing. I was thinking about replacing them with XT because I cannot stand sram brakes. These came on my Blur stock. All my other bikes have XT, so I guess I'm just used to that engagement.

Now I'm searching for the adapter to mount XT to AXS. Wolf Tooth sounds not ideal, idk. Has anyone done this?
    SRAMs Matchmaker clamp will work. The silver square nut can be filed down a fraction on the sides to reduce its width and then it should fit inside the 8120 XT lever bracket opening. I like to use a little thread locker on the bolt once I dial the position, as the bolt is a tad short and only a few threads engage.

I've done this on both the the dropper and dropper side a few times. EDIT: the placement range is not as great as with a SRAM lever, but works well with AXS shifter angles.

Not my photo, but just showing how its done:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 10.44.21.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	489805

Right on, thanks Dee. Now I need to get mentally prepared to thread the brake line thru the rear triangle. I suck at that!

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    What happened to the 2 I sent you? Pull the one off the Gnarvana and just get some new double 3M tape.
    It seems so stuck on there that I don't know how I'll get it off without breaking it. The second one I can't seem to find in my endless bins of parts for the last 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    It seems so stuck on there that I don't know how I'll get it off without breaking it. The second one I can't seem to find in my endless bins of parts for the last 10+ years.
    It'll come off fine, one of the 2 I had mounted on my GG. If you're worried, hit it with a little heat from a heat gun or hair drier, then just firmly but slowly peal it up from 1 end to the other.

Or get a K-Edge mount (the ones that replace a steerer spacer are great if you've got at least 5mm above your stem).

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    It'll come off fine, one of the 2 I had mounted on my GG. If you're worried, hit it with a little heat from a heat gun or hair drier, then just firmly but slowly peal it up from 1 end to the other.

Or get a K-Edge mount (the ones that replace a steerer spacer are great if you've got at least 5mm above your stem).
    OK sweet. Can't do the k edge ones because of edc tool.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    SRAMs Matchmaker clamp will work. The silver square nut can be filed down a fraction on the sides to reduce its width and then it should fit inside the 8120 XT lever bracket opening. I like to use a little thread locker on the bolt once I dial the position, as the bolt is a tad short and only a few threads engage.

I've done this on both the the dropper and dropper side a few times. EDIT: the placement range is not as great as with a SRAM lever, but works well with AXS shifter angles.

Not my photo, but just showing how its done:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 10.44.21.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	427.5 KB 
ID:	489805
    As a PSA, this method will also work when using Shimano I-Spec-EV shifters with Hope Tech 4 brakes. If you grind down the corner dimples on the Shimano integration nut Name:  Nut_medium.jpeg
Views: 430
Size:  3.3 KB, It will fit in the Hope brake lever mount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Anyone know the turnaround time for fox x2 recall?

My x2 is recalled. It sounds like they straight up replace according to my suspension tuner.

I'm going to call fox tomorrow. Hopefully I can get an answer.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Mine just got mailed today, can report back when I have a timeline

Ohlins didn't issue any recalls this year.
    Just saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Anybody know if Time/SRAM has discontinued the ATAC series? Almost all the pedals and cleats went on sale 50% off a couple months ago and now they're all sold out. Wondering if it's a refresh, total redesign, dropping the product line or they just needed some liquid cash.

I'm deep in the ecosystem so I'm curious.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Anybody know if Time/SRAM has discontinued the ATAC series? Almost all the pedals and cleats went on sale 50% off a couple months ago and now they're all sold out. Wondering if it's a refresh, total redesign, dropping the product line or they just needed some liquid cash.

I'm deep in the ecosystem so I'm curious.
    I certainly hope not. I'm in the same boat.

I can't imagine SRAM bought Time just to kill it. I would assume a Sram branded pedal with Time guts is on the way. I'm kinda surprised it's not already here.

Sure hope not--maybe there's a desire to break away from the name since they only own it for the pedals and not for the bikes or other parts?

I went on a quick search and saw XC2 on here for $29: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...tribute=233835

If you don't care about adjusting tension or a couple extra grams, that's a whole set of pedals for barely more than the price of cleats. If I still had a commuter bike, I'd buy them to replace my old Aliums with their heavy metal bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    Sure hope not--maybe there's a desire to break away from the name since they only own it for the pedals and not for the bikes or other parts?

I went on a quick search and saw XC2 on here for $29: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...tribute=233835

If you don't care about adjusting tension or a couple extra grams, that's a whole set of pedals for barely more than the price of cleats. If I still had a commuter bike, I'd buy them to replace my old Aliums with their heavy metal bodies.
    Helluva deal, but note that those XC2s have the square profile retention bars. In my experience (and I'm another that's deep in the ecosystem) the round bars like on the Aliums are significantly more robust, which is why I switched to Times long ago. But yeah, fine for a commuter, and you get fresh cleats, too!

It’s way past time for me to get my shocks rebuilt. I bought this 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad with 27.5 wheels from my neighbor in 2019 which is built up from extra parts from his garage. Currently I think the dampening piston has come unthreaded. Something rattles in the fork when I hit bumps and there just is no dampening.

What kind of front shock do I have? Fox 34 or 36? What do I need to order for the rebuild and are there good YouTube videos to learn how to rebuild the shock?

Should I have my LBS deal with the rear shock rebuild? Or Is there a good company that I can send my rear shock to? Currently running 300psi and there’s like 40% sag. Oops!

Name:	Image1710366158.591558.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	490380

Name:	Image1710366196.094474.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	490381

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Neither for the fork, it's a Rockshox, probably a Yari by the model year. Just have whatever shop that services the shock also do the fork.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerome View Post
    It’s way past time for me to get my shocks rebuilt. I bought this 2018 Santa Cruz Nomad with 27.5 wheels from my neighbor in 2019 which is built up from extra parts from his garage. Currently I think the dampening piston has come unthreaded. Something rattles in the fork when I hit bumps and there just is no dampening.

What kind of front shock do I have? Fox 34 or 36? What do I need to order for the rebuild and are there good YouTube videos to learn how to rebuild the shock?

Should I have my LBS deal with the rear shock rebuild? Or Is there a good company that I can send my rear shock to? Currently running 300psi and there’s like 40% sag. Oops!
    Given that it sounds like both the fork and rear shock are severely fucked, and given that new suspension (from fox and others) can be had for super cheap right now, you might be better off just buying new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Given that it sounds like both the fork and rear shock are severely fucked, and given that new suspension (from fox and others) can be had for super cheap right now, you might be better off just buying new stuff.
    Give it to me straight doc, how much time do I have left

Give it to me straight doc, how much time do I have left

Prognosis isn't great.

For a full fork + rear shock tear down and rebuild, you're probably looking at $400-ish just in labor, and depending on what things look like in there, another $200 in parts (possibly less, but very possibly more).

You can get a brand new fox 36 factory for $450, and you can get various brand new factory level fox rear shocks for $250. So you're only saving $100-ish going the rebuild route.

Yah I third the buying new parts. The deals on suspension right now is just wild so you might as well take advantage.

Ask the experts

Is this an ok place to ask for a price reality check? 2020 aluminum Santa Cruz Tallboy. Nice but well used (and maintained) parts. XT brakes/DT Swiss 350 wheels/king headset/Helm/ GX drivetrain/ cascade link. Was thinking about tossing it up for 1800 but maybe even that is too much these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so I’m looking at something around $800 for new front and rear suspension for a bike worth maybe $1800. Still worth it for a good bike even though it would be nice to ride something around 30# instead of 36#, and something with a steeper seat post angle.

My mountain bike knowledge is still mostly in the dark ages of the 90’s. What fork and shock am I looking for? Where are good places to purchase the suspension? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    Is this an ok place to ask for a price reality check? 2020 aluminum Santa Cruz Tallboy. Nice but well used (and maintained) parts. XT brakes/DT Swiss 350 wheels/king headset/Helm/ GX drivetrain/ cascade link. Was thinking about tossing it up for 1800 but maybe even that is too much these days?

Seems a bit high. A brand new aluminum tallboy can be had for $2500, albeit with shittier parts than yours. I'd put a 4 year old aluminum Tallboy somewhere in the $1300-1400 range. But the whole bike market is weird these days, so who the hell knows.

You’re probably right. I also feel like this thing isn’t worth shipping and local sale probably drops the price more.

Ok, so I’m looking at something around $800 for new front and rear suspension for a bike worth maybe $1800. Still worth it for a good bike even though it would be nice to ride something around 30# instead of 36#, and something with a steeper seat post angle.

My mountain bike knowledge is still mostly in the dark ages of the 90’s. What fork and shock am I looking for? Where are good places to purchase the suspension? Thanks

If it were me, I'd probably buy this fork. Ignore the part where it says it's for ebikes. This won't make your bike lighter, but it will make it awesomer.

The shock gets a little trickier since there's different sizes and tunes, which makes it harder to find a good deal that'll fit your bike. But this thing is basically a re-branded Fox Float X. It's cheap, and it'll fit your bike. You'll probably have to buy some mounting hardware for it though (not sure what size you need - some internet sleuthing would probably tell you, or if you have a Santa Cruz shop nearby, there's a good chance they'll have it).