Check Out Our Shop
Page 506 of 542 FirstFirst ... 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 ... LastLast
Results 12,626 to 12,650 of 13550

Thread: Ask the experts

I’ve been thinking Knolly might be the next to fall.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Foot-actuated dropper is some serious WTF.

Back onto the subject of 1Up, no BF sale is killing me.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 11-24-2023 at 04:31 PM.

Ask the experts

OneUp or WAO? So many ones.
    OneUp has a pretty sweet sale happening.

Edit: ahhhhh, 1Up racks, not OneUp components.

Domestic production likely means they aren’t sitting on a bunch of crap they over-ordered from Asian factories 2 years ago. That’s pretty sweet actually, but sorry you can’t grab a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Edit: ahhhhh, 1Up racks, not OneUp components.
    Hah, yes, derp!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1up Rack Question.
    Anyone ever modify the notch stops on their rack?
    Typically store mine at “half mast” because the fully up position blocks the tailgate and inevitably will smack the shit out of it a few times.
    Half mast looks less than awesome though. Like walking around with you fly open.
    Attachment 477119
    I’m thinking about grinding a little seat between the two notches. There’s not enough metal in there to do a full proper notch like the original ones, so it might not hold.
    Attachment 477123
    Ideal angle (tailgate just barely clears)
    Attachment 477124
    @Half Mast

I’ve thought about cutting a slight notch just past the full upright. My wife’s Tiguan only needs the rack tilted back a couple degrees for the hatch to open.

Usually I just drive around with it not engaged in a notch and it never moves (worst case, it would make its way into the notch) but a little detent would be nice just so I know it is actually far enough back to clear the hatch.

This is more likely, but I’ll certainly obsess over it too.
    Will post up if I do anything.

I imagine you wouldn't need much of a detent. Couldn't you use the "screw" that holds the locking bar in place to make sure it stays firmly in the detent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    They never have sales, unfortunately. Even their industry "pro deals" are pretty miniscule.

Ask the experts

1up Rack Question.
    Anyone ever modify the notch stops on their rack?
    Typically store mine at “half mast” because the fully up position blocks the tailgate and inevitably will smack the shit out of it a few times.
    Half mast looks less than awesome though. Like walking around with you fly open.
    Attachment 477119
    I’m thinking about grinding a little seat between the two notches. There’s not enough metal in there to do a full proper notch like the original ones, so it might not hold.
    Attachment 477123
    Ideal angle (tailgate just barely clears)
    Attachment 477124
    @Half Mast

Won’t simply sliding the hitch out of the receiver a bit give you the clearance? I’ve had good luck over the years doing that for various vehicles. An extender is another option.

This year, I added the rackattack to the mix which is great for traveling, especially w/ebikes. I added a sheet metal shim on the underside to reduce movement. That might also be helpful if you can get clearance moving the rack or an extender.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I bought mine years ago before Christmas and got a 1up tee shirt for free!
    I don't mind paying full price for that rack. It hasn't come off my car except for when I've bought a new car and it's been bomber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1700920125.418899.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	477262
    This is how far out it needs to be for the tailgate to clear in the fully upright position. Not gonna work for me. I’d rather it be more solid since I’m either hauling DH bikes or e-bikes. And being solid as a fucking rock is one of the hallmarks of a 1up rack.

However many are in a shit ton.

You might at least try an extender before cannibalizing the holder.

https://1up-usa.com/product/2-hitch-extender

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Maybe see if they will make one?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1700920125.418899.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	333.7 KB 
ID:	477262
    This is how far out it needs to be for the tailgate to clear in the fully upright position. Not gonna work for me. I’d rather it be more solid since I’m either hauling DH bikes or e-bikes. And being solid as a fucking rock is one of the hallmarks of a 1up rack.

The current Super Duty and Heavy Duty shank assembly now both have a grooved shank that supports a locking hitch pin, so you no longer have to use the super old school velcro backup strap. You’d be surprised how far you can pull the shank back with the hitch pin engaged. I wouldn’t haul 4 bikes with the shank locked in the most outward position, but 2 DH or eBikes might not be an issue.

So if you really wanted to go nuts, you could buy yourself a new shank assembly, back it out and try it, if that doesn’t work you can notch out the side supports of your old shank assembly, and if that somehow fucks anything up you can revert to the new side supports.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    Not a WAO but I’ve been wanting a hardtail for riding in my new zone and the prices on Knolly Tyaughtons are insane right now, just picked one up. Not in the super boost fan club, more in the “not weird enough to keep me from buying a bike” club lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Which wheelset did your Knolly come with? Website says either Spank or a Race Face Aeffect.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm trying to figure out a nagging fit issue I'm having between two bikes. Whats the cheapest path to being able to support a bike with 29x2.4" tires/boost axles in a way that I can record myself pedaling? I was initially looking at basic trainers on craigslist but a lot of them say they only fit 29x1.5" or less. Not really interested in using the trainer as anything but a support stand.

Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out a nagging fit issue I'm having between two bikes. Whats the cheapest path to being able to support a bike with 29x2.4" tires/boost axles in a way that I can record myself pedaling? I was initially looking at basic trainers on craigslist but a lot of them say they only fit 29x1.5" or less. Not really interested in using the trainer as anything but a support stand.
    In theory, you should be able to get any old turbo trainer and remove your 2.4 tire. No need for the tire to contact the fluid roller/drum since you don't need the workout. Surely someone local has one for you to borrow.

Rollers could work too. They’re a bit tricky at first, more so with a fatter tire, but doable. You’d for sure need a tripod or a second party to film. A wheel-off trainer would work fine too, just have to make sure you can level the bike. You’d have to that with a drum/fluid trainer too.

Where are you located? I’ve got all three options in the garage.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Like others said, you could just take the tire off. But remember you'll probably need a thru axle adaptor to get the bike to fit in a cheap trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Which wheelset did your Knolly come with? Website says either Spank or a Race Face Aeffect.
    Dunno didn’t ask. Hoping RF because I don’t know anything about the Spank ones, but figured for the price I won’t complain. Likely going to lace up something nicer anyways if I decide I like the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Abies View Post
    Dunno didn’t ask. Hoping RF because I don’t know anything about the Spank ones, but figured for the price I won’t complain. Likely going to lace up something nicer anyways if I decide I like the bike.

Racefaces wheels are garbage (well the hubs mostly), better hope it's the spanks. Can't even count how many raceface hubs we've warrantied in the shop.

Oh bummer well guess I’ll see

If you're near Boulder I have a Feedback Omnium Trainer you can borrow.

Shockwiz? Worth owning for the many mountain bikes I have. Always relied on bracketing, but riding with some really fast enduro racers these days and think I need to start fiddling w/ marginal gains. On sale now and was going to throw on wife's x-mas list for me...

No, it's junk. Do some research on what setting does what, get a small notebook to record your settings, and keep doing bracketing.