Check Out Our Shop
Page 480 of 542 FirstFirst ... 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 ... LastLast
Results 11,976 to 12,000 of 13550

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Just get the one up bars
    This

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Roger.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

FWIW, I've found the TrailOne bars to be very similar feeling to OneUp.

Where is the current "go-to" place to get a good built front wheel? 27.5, 30-ish mm, 6-bolt rotor. Carbon or alloy is fine...

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Where is the current "go-to" place to get a good built front wheel? 27.5, 30-ish mm, 6-bolt rotor. Carbon or alloy is fine...
    Wherever hands you a 29 inch front wheel and tells you to grow up

Are you replacing or looking to upgrade?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Like custom built, or a just a nice pre-built wheel?
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Just get the one up bars
    Yep!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Wherever hands you a 29 inch front wheel and tells you to grow up

Are you replacing or looking to upgrade?
    Replacing a stock crabon Giant TRX-1.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Like custom built, or a just a nice pre-built wheel?
    Nice pre-built would be fine...

I just had some built up by speed vision bikes that I can’t find fault with. They have a wheel builder tool on their website so you can see if they have what you are looking for. I went with DT Ex511 on 350 hubs and it was a little under $650 to my door. Of the websites that I priced out similar builds, speed vision was the cheapest option for the build I was looking for.

I've heard nothing but good about NOBL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Open to any other suggestions at Lunch Loops. I was drawn to the Ribbon for it's speed and flow. I'll be in the land of tech and figured some faster stuff would be a nice diversion.
    Holy Cross is a must do imo but not particularly fast and flowy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Who here rides with a chest/back protector? Do they work?

I had a run-of-the-mill crash about a week ago on a faster shuttle trail, but ended up getting tossed rib cage-first onto the sharp edge of a fallen tree that had been cut out, resulting in several broken ribs, a collapsed lung and an overnight hospital stay. I'm doing well now, but the crash has me thinking about whether, on rides where I feel a full face helmet is warranted, some additional body armour would be smart too.

And are there any chest/back protectors people would recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post

I had a run-of-the-mill crash about a week ago on a faster shuttle trail, but ended up getting tossed rib cage-first onto the sharp edge of a fallen tree that had been cut out, resulting in several broken ribs, a collapsed lung and an overnight hospital stay. I'm doing well now, but the crash has me thinking about whether, on rides where I feel a full face helmet is warranted, some additional body armour would be smart too.

Damn, dude. I have no recommendations, but ++vibes for a quick recovery!

How often do people replace pivot bearings? My Smuggler uses an Enduro Max kit if it matters. I'm guessing I could just take out the shock and see how smooth moving the swing-arm feels?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I'm with this guy. Holy Cross is a really fun trail. Our go-to Lunch Loops lap over the last <large number> of years has been a shuttle to Ribbon -> Ribbon Connector -> Lunch Line -> Free Lunch -> Holy Cross -> whatever trail back to parking lot

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    How often do people replace pivot bearings? My Smuggler uses an Enduro Max kit if it matters. I'm guessing I could just take out the shock and see how smooth moving the swing-arm feels?
    IME, *extremely* rarely. My previous bike (2010 Reign) I never replaced a single pivot bearing in the 8 years I owned it. I'd check them every now and again, but they always seemed smooth/fine.

I’ve got a Leatt Airfit Lite Tee that I wear on shuttle/emtb/lift served rides. It’s not quite breathable enough for big pedaling efforts, but I also don’t mind wearing it for hours on end.

Haven’t crashed hard since I got it, so I can’t speak to how well it protects, but it seems like a worthwhile amount of protection for riding that also justifies a full face, and knee and elbow pads.

Damn, dude. I have no recommendations, but ++vibes for a quick recovery!
    Thanks! It’s just part of the risk we accept in this sport. I wasn’t doing anything stupid. Recovery is going well, and the pain is way down.

I picked up a Fox Baseframe Pro vest last winter with the intent of using it when I went to the bike park. I ended up only going once this summer but took a big slam where I got ejected into the embankment, and had no bruising or abrasions on my ribs/chest. I managed to bruise my hip bone even though there's a bit of foam padding on the vest there. Heavy bruising on thigh above the knee pad, and bruising on my elbow under where the pad went. Regardless, I was glad I had it on. If I raced enduro I'd probably wear it for that, but not planning on wearing it for any self-propelled riding. I might wear it for some shuttling. Temps were in the mid 70s with a bit of a breeze and it wasn't too hot, but we were riding chairlifts.

On the same day that I had the big slam, a buddy with me kind of scorpioned and landed on his back on some of those diamond pavers bike parks use to armor the trail. His back was ok, but he got a tramp stamp bruise in the shape of a paver just under where his protector ended. He was wearing one of the Fox hardshell types that goes over your jersey. He was also really glad he was wearing it.

I'm with this guy. Holy Cross is a really fun trail. Our go-to Lunch Loops lap over the last <large number> of years has been a shuttle to Ribbon -> Ribbon Connector -> Lunch Line -> Free Lunch -> Holy Cross -> whatever trail back to parking lot
    I always like to end on Curt’s Down for some fast flow though usually seem to end up running into a hiker and a dog coming up it

Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I always like to end on Curt’s Down for some fast flow though usually seem to end up running into a hiker and a dog coming up it
    Agree - Curt's is a great way to finish that ride. Last time we ran into a whole gaggle of bikers riding up it.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Varies widely.

I've had bikes where they've lasted years. I've had other bikes where I've killed 1 or 2 of the bearings in 6 weeks. Depends on the bearings, the bike, and the conditions you're riding in.

Pulling the shock will give a pretty good idea if things are rough / sticky, but especially for the minor bearings, you really have to pull the link apart and spin the bearing with your fingers.

Not for MTB, but I got one for moto after breaking a rib earlier this summer. I was still recovering when I tried on a bunch of different chest protectors, so I had a really good idea of where I needed coverage. In short, most don't actually protect the mid/lower ribs. Astars A10 V2 and Leatt 6.0 were the only ones that provided coverage that I felt would've prevented my injury (broken #8).

The shoulder pads suck on all of them. I wear the A10 V2 w/o shoulder pads over a jersey and like it a lot. Leatt 6.0 is noticeably heavier and supposedly doesn't breathe as well. I expect either would be fine for lift served or shuttling but totally oppressive for pedaling.
    Last edited by North; 09-25-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    I remember doing a Holy Cross, Gunny, Pre-Nup loop that was fun and atech challenge. I can't remember if it was clockwise or counterclockwise.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Thank you.

Thank you

Beauty! Thank you.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    especially for the minor bearings, you really have to pull the link apart and spin the bearing with your fingers.
    This was brightly illuminated to me when I rebuilt an older set of I9 Torch wheels. Initially just put my fingers in the bearings and spun the wheel; everything felt smooth as silk.
    Pulled the bearings and spun em by themselves; rough and gritty as hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.