Check Out Our Shop
Page 477 of 542 FirstFirst ... 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 ... LastLast
Results 11,901 to 11,925 of 13550

Thread: Ask the experts

Anyone have a preferred product for pivot axles and pivot bearings?

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Not sure this is thread worthy so I'll ask here. I live within pedaling distance of a bike park. Barely rode it this season but would like to change that next year. I'm thinking my current bike ('21 Norco Sight) will be fine if I get a set of DH wheels + tires and swap for park riding.

Is this dumb? Will I thrash the Sight? I'm not terribly hard on my gear, but have cracked both carbon bikes I've owned prior (not from shredding too hard, random stuff like rock strikes and chain suck). Guessing maintenance intervals will be shorter, but that's still cheaper than n+1. If DH wheels on the Sight are the way to go, hit me with some recs.
    Agree with toast that regular bike park use will beat the shit out of it, but definitely run what you brung at first and get a feel for whether or not you need something different and/or burlier.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    You are talking about a 160/150 frame and what, 29er config? 35mm stanchions?

Yes a heavier wheelset with burlier tires will help, but your base bike is probably not bike park material despite the Code brakes...

EXCEPT

What bikepark? That matters greatly. BIG deal.
    29er. Lyrik. Bike park is Mt. CB, which in my (limited) experience is not particularly burly outside of 1-2 trails. Certainly not on the level of Angel Fire or some other bike eating parks. Most people I know here just ride their pedal rig, but we're talking 1-2 laps a few days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Agree with toast that regular bike park use will beat the shit out of it, but definitely run what you brung at first and get a feel for whether or not you need something different and/or burlier.
    Yeah. This is a situation where I expect I'll learn the hard way. There's just no way I'm getting a DH bike for an unknown amount of use at a park that might not warrant one anyway.

Losing my mind. Wheel/tire doesn't hold air.

Stans Grail CB7
    Put fresh Stans rimtape
    Cleaned off the bed and the valve stem
    Put a fresh core in it
    Brand new gravelking SK 43

Pumped to 45 and by the next morning it's 20

Just ordered replacement valve stem/cores.
    Is there any chance the tire is bad?

I'd bust out the soapy water before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post

Stans Grail CB7
    Put fresh Stans rimtape
    Put a fresh core in it

Get it up to 45 and spray it with soapy water, pretty good chance you’ll see where the bubble are growing.
    Was it tight getting on the rim? Did you use a lever to get it on? If so, might have dinged the tape? Those rims are kinda shallow.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    Get it up to 45 and spray it with soapy water, pretty good chance you’ll see where the bubble are growing.
    Was it tight getting on the rim? Did you use a lever to get it on? If so, might have dinged the tape? Those rims are kinda shallow.

No lever needed to get it on the rim. Seated with my compressor. I can see the line on the outside of the tire all the way around suggesting it seated correctly. I'll soap it up and see what I can find. Thanks.

Bike came with Transmission. I'm going to sell that and make it Shimano 12 because many reasons.

Crankset will be Descendant Carbon DUB Crankset
    https://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/models/fc-desc-c-b1
    (Why? Because I got a deal on it and because I have a Oneup Switch direct mount sitting around with two ovals)

QUESTION:

Can I use the SRAM DUB MTB Wide BB that came installed on the frame with the Transmission for my new crankset? Or do I need a new subtly different BB?
    Last edited by summit; 09-20-2023 at 05:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

You can use that BB but you’ll need to get a narrower spacer that goes on the spindle between the DS bearing and the crank.
    The MTB wide BB is just a DUB BB with wider spindle spacers for the 55mm chain line cranks that have longer spindles.
    Regular DUB bbs come with 3 sizes…a quick email, chat or call to the frame mfg should let you know which spacer to use. Your local shop probably has some laying around.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post

Stans Grail CB7
    Put fresh Stans rimtape
    Put a fresh core in it

Stupid question: have you ridden it?

Plenty of tubeless tires just need to get ridden a bit to seal up.

Anyone know when Kona Jake the snake switched to axles? I have a bunch of axle wheels. If I pick up an older frame do the axle to qr adapters work?
    Last edited by Cocximus; 09-21-2023 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Stupid question: have you ridden it?

Plenty of tubeless tires just need to get ridden a bit to seal up.
    Not a stupid question. I pumped it up and sloshed the sealant around this time (didn't before) and that seems to have solved it.

(yes ... I'm an idiot)

Are wolf tooth or 5dev chain rings better than the standard sram ones in terms of durability/longevity? Giving my drivetrain a refresh and figured I should replace the chain ring as well
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Go Oval!

Go Oval!
    Timely. I need to replace my chain ring and I'm oval curious. If I have a 30 tooth now, should I go 32 in an oval chain ring?

IMO yes, oval chainring feels about the same as adding 2 teeth.

I was all in on ovals for a while, but haven't had them last few years w/ new bikes. I remember really liking them, but also can't say they were as game changing as I first thought. YMMV

I agree, not gamechangers, but nice improvement in smoothness, especially if you are more sit and spin than stand and pound

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Timely. I need to replace my chain ring and I'm oval curious. If I have a 30 tooth now, should I go 32 in an oval chain ring?
    IMO, no, I'd stick with a 30t. The gear inches don't change, the power delivery just gets smoother when things get steep and grunty.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    IMO, no, I'd stick with a 30t. The gear inches don't change, the power delivery just gets smoother when things get steep and grunty.
    I agree with this

Quote Originally Posted by Cocximus View Post
    Anyone know when Kona Jake the snake switched to axles? I have a bunch of axle wheels. If I pick up an older frame do the axle to qr adapters work?
    Dunno about Kona, but I'm using a front QR adapter on my road bike and it seems to work ok. The front ones are a generic solution in most cases, but for the rear you have to make sure the hub manufacturer has an adapter that is unique to their hub avaliable.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Go Oval!
    I’m not a huge oval fan since I like to stand and push vs sit and spin

Is there much of an advantage of these slightly higher end chain rings like wolf tooth or is the basic sram one just as good
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I tried the oval absolute black on the 5.5, also dropped 2 teeth at the same time (30 to 28) so I can't say I could really feel the oval difference other than the climbing was easier cuz of less teeth

this time on the E-bike I didnt see any point in an oval ring on an e-bike so I just ordered the exact same SRAM ring in steel for the refresh cuz steel is 1/3rd of the price, hardwearing and the weight doesnt matter
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have used Absoluteblack Wolftooth and Oneup ovals, not noting a huge difference. Except Absoluteblack are prettier and Oneup are super easy to switch rings. You get slightly more ovality the smaller you go. The 28 behaves like a 26-30. A 36 is like a 34-38. Ovality is 10-14% depending.

I also see no point to oval on an e-bike.

Someone need a brand new 32T SRAM direct mount? (round)

you can go smaller with a direct mount like the Race Face Aeffect cuz there is no spider to get in the way, a good product IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

How about the sram steel chainrings? What's the actual weight difference? I like how cheap and durable they are and don't care much about weight unless it's a major difference