Check Out Our Shop
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Hmm. Think I’ll keep sinking money in my ‘03…
    +1

My daily driver is this black ‘97 ^

The new limited \/

Interesting comparison of new 4runner vs old vs Land Cruiser

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/04/09/...r-old-4runner/

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    +1
    Woof

Looks-wise it's more like a 4th gen with some crossover lines. 4th Gen is my least favorite, so this is 2nd from the bottom.

I still own a '99 MT that I have no realy reason to keep around. But I can't make myself get rid of it. Runs great and I still like driving it occasionally. Could probably use new front end everything but otherwise solid.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Woof

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Looks-wise it's more like a 4th gen with some crossover lines. 4th Gen is my least favorite, so this is 2nd from the bottom.

I still own a '99 MT that I have no realy reason to keep around. But I can't make myself get rid of it. Runs great and I still like driving it occasionally. Could probably use new front end everything but otherwise solid.
    I know we all have different tastes but I sure as hell don't see a 4th gen resemblance. Me and the old lady have had(or have) 2 4th gens, and a 1st gen runner. I also have a 1st gen tundra and before that an 88 pickup. I kinda liked everything up till 4th with the 5th being "ok". I know I'm in the minority but so far I can't stand the LC or 4runner. However I'm not their target audience and would rather have capability over comfort. I sound like the wagon circle jerk but give me some non-US options like a bare bones hi-lux. Bee sting..lol.

Sent from my SM-S236DL using Tapatalk

I think it's the A pillar/roofline transition that gives me 4th gen vibes. All the others have angular lines throughout. 4th and 6th have the rounded a pillar/roofline transition that doesn't match IMO. 6th gen front end looks disproportionately long.

Don't see myself owning another SUV (unless it's a 60 series...), or any new vehicle anytime soon for that matter so it's all moot.

I think the new 4Runner will sell a ton of GX 550s

I was really hoping for T4R Prime. Nothing that really makes me want to upgrade my 5th gen from 2010. It just turned 90k so plenty of life if the road salt doesn’t kill it. Now I’ll have time to check out the Rivian R2 in a couple of years.

Since I’ll have the 5th gen for a while, it’s time to look at adding Apple CarPlay to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    My daily driver is this black ‘97 ^
    If you keep zooming, you'll see that's an early 90s 2nd gen, but yeah, the 3rd gen is in many ways the pinnacle. My brother's was the energizer bunny. He gave it to a friend when the rust got too bad, and last report was that the odometer is north of 400k miles and she'll probably still be running when the frame breaks in half.

That autoblog piece makes a good point about Toyota competing with itself.

Both the 4th and 5th gen were considered "too big" by diehard fans when they debuted, and the new one is even bigger. Yet when I watch some of the car guy reviews it looks more cramped inside than our 5th gen(?)

It looks okay and has the changes expected. Definitely could have done worse.

I love our 03 early Gen4. Just fixed the long broken rear wiper, put a new weatherstripping on back there, fixed some dash light's. Like fucking new. It has been a garage queen no primary driver for 12 years so that keeps the rust at bay.

It does need new control arms up front probably. And new tires. And new wheels.

I think I'll buy those and keep her going.

But I'm okay with the new one. The rear window rolling down is a huge deal to me for some reason, it just grows on you, and the dog does love it. The complication of the turbo 4 sucks but it is what it is. One of the reasons our truck isn't a primary driver is because the 4.0 and the little lift with the prehistoric 4 speed conspire to burn ungodly amounts of gas.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

4Runner/Tacoma alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    If you keep zooming, you'll see that's an early 90s 2nd gen, but yeah, the 3rd gen is in many ways the pinnacle. My brother's was the energizer bunny. He gave it to a friend when the rust got too bad, and last report was that the odometer is north of 400k miles and she'll probably still be running when the frame breaks in half.

That autoblog piece makes a good point about Toyota competing with itself.

Both the 4th and 5th gen were considered "too big" by diehard fans when they debuted, and the new one is even bigger. Yet when I watch some of the car guy reviews it looks more cramped inside than our 5th gen(?)
    Shit yeah you’re right. That’s a 2nd gen.

Here’s mine - a pic from 20 years ago. Still going strong today.

Still miss my 2door ‘88 with 3 pedals.

Removable top? Those were so sweet.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Yeah

My oldest has taco fever

I would never buy one myself. I’m just too tall which makes the rear crew cab useless for anyone but my dog.

Can’t believe they went turbo four. It saves one mile per gallon. And no doubt affects the 250k mileage reliability.

Looking at 2019 ish models. Probably off road since he has dreams of shredding the Utah gnar. We’re going halfsees on it. He made a cogent argument that U UT is so cheap I owe him. lol.

PS. As for alternatives the Chevy Colorado is way cheaper. If you get one with the mini duramax it’s not a bad rig.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Isn't that mini-duramax turbo also?

Toyota's entire brand identity is reliability, otherwise they would just be Nissan. I would rest on the new taco being reliable until proven otherwise honestly. You won't know the answer for at least a decade anyways.
    Live Free or Die

Toyota's entire brand identity is reliability
    Here in the land of wind and weed their brand is reliability, off road prowess and basic bitch normie image.

Reliability? Equal at best these days. Not worth the premium in the used market unless you are going super deep into the 200k plus. But fan bois don't wanna talk about it. You kinda gonna choose which parts of the depreciation/curves you want to own and calculate the lowest cost option.

Off Road. Taco, Runner, Sequoia probably are best in class in stock trim, specially used

Image. We are all doing it one way or the other. It the number one reason you can hardly ever talk someone out of a 'Yota.

I don't think I'm buying people driving Toyota's for the image, at least to any degree that results in the sales numbers Toyota gets for the taco.

Most modern cars are going to start and get you home most of the time, so in that sense I guess I agree it isn't as stark a difference, but I will say the difference between my Wrangler and Tundra over the past 8 years and 100k miles is pretty stark. Both sit around 110k now. Both still run and I love each respectively. But only one still runs and drives like new, and it isn't the Jeep.
    Live Free or Die

I don't think I'm buying people driving Toyota's for the image
    Ha...you should see the parking lot at The Jane

So you are telling me your Jeep is a piece?

That Jeep will get me anywhere my heart desires, and it will rattle, shake and smell like coolant the entire way.

And like its mechanicals, it carries a certain image, a stigma if you will, that doesn't anywhere near as gracefully as a Toyota but will always be there.
    Live Free or Die

not just reliability but they will fix their fuckups long after it seems reasonable

I had a 90 with the 3L V6, they did the headgaskette on warranty after 7 yrs which means they also did the timing belt and the 96K major tuneup/ valve adj all for free which was all a 1500$ bill I would have needed to spend

the new frames on mid 2000 Tacos were a 40hr re & re

recently they took the box off my taco to repalce the fuel pump they said it was recalled
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

^ Guy should switch to decaf.