Check Out Our Shop
Page 235 of 258 FirstFirst ... 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 6438
    Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Well sure, SPDs are fragile and get gummed up with Moab sand to the point that they won't release, but the simple solution is some bomber Time ATACs. Or were you ranting about the rug in the hotel lobby?

Shifter wire placement. Couldn't get my front derailleur dialed so brought it in for service. Was surprised they left the cable protruding out so I'd hit the barb with each pedal stroke. Leave my ghetto carpet out if this lol.

Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Well sure, SPDs are fragile and get gummed up with Moab sand to the point that they won't release, but the simple solution is some bomber Time ATACs. Or were you ranting about the rug in the hotel lobby?
    That rug really ties the room together.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That rug really ties the room together.
    Yeah, but do they match the drapes?

I assumed it was the mere presence of a front derailleur.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I assumed it was the mere presence of a front derailleur.
    X2. I'm annoyed those things still exist.

X3. Bike is a lowly Giant Contend AR 4. Claris 8x2 group set. Shifting has always been clunky and I'm curious about upgrading the drivetrain. Completely unsure of possible rear cassette size options due to hub compatibility, not to mention the cranks. If anyone wants to educate me, I'm listening.

X4. Even new XTR 2x12 would probably feel clunky at this point. I've forgotten how to shift a f der.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    X3. Bike is a lowly Giant Contend AR 4. Claris 8x2 group set. Shifting has always been clunky and I'm curious about upgrading the drivetrain. Completely unsure of possible rear cassette size options due to hub compatibility, not to mention the cranks. If anyone wants to educate me, I'm listening.
    It's a Shimano HG freehub, so just about any 11-xx cassette will work. 40x11-40 works great for road use if you can live without the 50x11.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    I'd stop doing this.
    Jus sayin...
    You mean watching my tire while riding?
    Or riding on a wobbly tire?
    FWIW, i only watch my tire while noodlin around at slow speeds. Like on a climbing trail.

It's definitely still fucked tho

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It's a Shimano HG freehub, so just about any 11-xx cassette will work. 40x11-40 works great for road use if you can live without the 50x11.
    Appreciate that. For the amount of time I spend riding I'm embarrassingly out of the loop with current groupsets and components, and doubly so for hub 'standards'.

There's still really only 3 freehub drivers (HG, XD, Microspline), but if the cassette doesn't have a 10t cog it's HG. I have a 10sp 11-42 cassette and SRAM shifter pod from my wrecked commuter you can have for free if you want.

Hey that's a super kind offer, thank you. Respect.

I'm roughly 2000 miles away from you so I don't think it would be worth the hassle / cost of shipping / customs stuff etc but thank you all the same.

Been trying to overhaul my transfer SL seatpost but one of the tools you need is out of stock. First I tried a knipex pliers wrench, but no, keeps slipping. Then today took a 12-pt box end wrench to the grinder to get a flat, chamferless edge to try to get this stupid really thin 8-sided cap out. Still not good enough purchase.

It's like, an actually pretty simple spring loaded, up or down only post, but you need 3 fucking special tools to take it apart. At this point I should have just bought a new post because ep pricing isn't much different from parts and tools (which I can't even fucking get).

Also I put two XC bikes together this week that had droppers plus f+r lockouts (one even has through the headset routing) and mfgs really need to work on cleaner setups for all that shit. The orbea oiz today had a clamp for the dropper, clamp for the brake, clamp for the lockout. Dropper housing interferes with brake MC so I get to bend the noodle a little to get it all to line up. Supercaliber yesterday has the new sram brakes that are up against the bar, so cool where is this clamp for the dropper supposed to fit now? put it outside the clamp and you can't twist the lockout. Put it inside and it has to be way over there to not hit the brake MC and you can barely reach it. Like maybe focus on good control ergonomics and routing before you worry about the hoses going into the headset bearing?

Sometimes I wish my hei hei was a little sportier going uphill on the race course but having just brake hoses, a dropper lever that goes on the sram brake clamp, and a wireless shifter sure is nice and clean. Kinda considering a wireless dropper but they're too expensive and I've been thinking about replacing that bike for awhile.

Anyway could I get a number 6 with no pickles, medium size, and a diet coke please?
    Last edited by jamal; 02-16-2024 at 09:15 PM.

Thaleia,
    As stated above, you've got the most common "standard" in an HG freehub. If you're that out of the loop, do you have a LBS you trust? I'd drop in, explain your use case and tell them you want to piece together a Microshift Advent 9 groupset. They can help you choose which shifter, (clutched) derailleur & cassette; and determine if you need a new chainring to run as a 1x9. That's a reasonably priced upgrade path that'll perform well and not be finicky. Ask here if you want a second^2 opinion on what they recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Anyway could I get a number 6 with no pickles, medium size, and a diet coke please?
    No pickles is a bridge too far, says McDonalds, 50% of the time.

Stopped in at one yesterday for a couple Mcdoubles (no pickle). Half the drive thru screen was broken. So I asked if I could get the two-for or buy one get one for $1 burger deal off the dollar menu. Girl replies we no longer have the dollar menu. WTF? Since I can't read the menu I go in, instead. Dollar menu is there right where it always is. At this spot you can only order via kiosk now so of course it takes twice as long by the time you order and customize to remove pickles. Get my burger, and guess what is in there?

No pickles? Why do you hate America?

Thaleia,
    As stated above, you've got the most common "standard" in an HG freehub. If you're that out of the loop, do you have a LBS you trust? I'd drop in, explain your use case and tell them you want to piece together a Microshift Advent 9 groupset. They can help you choose which shifter, (clutched) derailleur & cassette; and determine if you need a new chainring to run as a 1x9. That's a reasonably priced upgrade path that'll perform well and not be finicky. Ask here if you want a second^2 opinion on what they recommend.
    Thank you, that is greatly appreciated. I have a friend who is all in on Microshift and I would definitely consider that option. I just need to price things out at a shop and make a plan. I'm considering whether I should upgrade the Contend AR4, or maybe just keep it on the trainer for all year use and get a new road bike.

Thaleia,
    Would you pick that over a wide range Shimano Deore 1x11? If so, why?

I've never ridden anything from Microshift. I have a Deore 1x11 (11-51 cassette) on my Surly plus bike, because it was a cheap upgrade from the SRAM NX (11-42) that came on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Would you pick that over a wide range Shimano Deore 1x11? If so, why?
    Well, most of the Microshift products come in at a lower price point than the equivalent Shimano product, but you made me look in more detail, and maybe Advent isn't the right recommendation. Turns out Microshift has road groups, too, including some that are Shimano-compatible. Again, though, asking a reputable LBS for a recommendation given a stated use case would be a sensible path if an upgrade is desired.

Anyone have anything they'd like to rant about?

My XT 2x10 double shifted really well. I liked it for touring and commuting though. I’ve been on 1x for gravel/cross/mtb since 2008.

But that was before 50t cassettes were common. No real reason now. 11 speed Apex 1x is a cheap and solid upgrade option, especially with mechanical brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, most of the Microshift products come in at a lower price point than the equivalent Shimano product, but you made me look in more detail, and maybe Advent isn't the right recommendation. Turns out Microshift has road groups, too, including some that are Shimano-compatible. Again, though, asking a reputable LBS for a recommendation given a stated use case would be a sensible path if an upgrade is desired.
    Oops. I overlooked that it was a double chainring road bike that Thaleia was working on, and assumed it was a mountain bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Couple years ago was trying unsuccessfully to seal my tubeless tires so had to pay a shop to do it. Just seeing now they used non serviceable valves on them. That can't be the norm, correct?!

do you mean he valve cores are not removable ??
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Correct.