Check Out Our Shop
Page 272 of 282 FirstFirst ... 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... LastLast
Results 6,776 to 6,800 of 7033
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Serious question…is that a realistic way to develop a hypothyroid condition? Meaning no table salt (only kosher salt) in the cooking/diet…
    [my limited understanding is that when you stop producing enough thyroid, you can’t grow that capability back]
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...76060520303680
    If hypothyroidism is due to inadequate iodine it is reversible with iodine, although the swelling of the thyroid will not always go away completely. Most hypothyroidism is due to a problem with the thyroid itself and the person will need to take thyroid hormone for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    And sorry Goat, your kosher salt vs table salt equivalencies are also shit. Not all kosher salts are created equal. There's a reason chefs specify Diamond Crystal, it's completely different from Mortons.

https://food52.com/blog/16824-you-re...iamond-crystal
    It's a reasonable approximation for most purposes.
    If the amount of salt is critical you weigh it. Usually it's not. Most recipes go a little light on the salt with the idea that the cook will salt to taste, although this won't work with baking of course. Adding pepper will reduce the amount of salt you need for taste. This was told to me from a chef who worked at Chez Panisse and then started Zuni in SF.
    If you're the kind of cook who thinks the difference between Diamond and Morton's is important than you will adjust the amount of salt based on taste, not based on a recipe.

The idea that one kind of salt is saltier is ridiculous. NaCl is NaCl. Both diamond and crystal are pure NaCl and are equally salty by weight. Iodized table salt is 1/24th iodine so that would make it slightly less salty than noniodized table salt. Other than that any difference in saltiness is based on the different size of the grain when salt is measured.

Holy NaCl blowout!

FWIW, I am not advocating for a universal unsalted butter ban, I just think it tastes better on toast (50% of my butter intake). Unsalted butter is banned at my house, I'm not coming to yours for an inspection. Except maybe TahoeJ's house cause he got real bent about my comment about dinner rolls and grilled cheeses. Relax bud, my daughter had a grilled cheese yesterday, it's not that lowly of a food. Dinner rolls though? Fuck these tasteless choke-inducing imitations of a brioche. As far as fancy restaurants and fancy chefs, well, pros will be pros, meaning quirky opinionated fuckers. I know that in France there are establishments of a certain level where there is not salt on the table. The seasoning is an integral part of the dish and fuck you if you're gonna change it once the chef's decided how it's gonna be. That's silly IMO, but I don't have a Michelin start so wtf do I know. I'm content using recipes that call for a pinch of salt and moving on. Salt intake is going down at the house these days since I'm a serious fan but don't want to start early on stressing out my daughter's kidneys. Salted butter makes for a nice salty baseline and I'm content not supplementing.

Now carry on being mad about seasoning while I go polish my 3 car seats.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

As my grandmother would often say,“fuck off and die if you use unsalted butter”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Good grief you guys

Can we can back to the illogical or unexplainable things our wives do that are funny? This salted butter thread drift sucks

FTR - we still have no unsalted butter in the house and I *still* haven't gotten any cake.

Slap her on the ass, ask for a sammich, and affectionately call her bitch. Report back.

I think I complained earlier about projects that my wife takes on, slowly completes to 85% , and then abandons all together? Well, shes decided to remodel the bathroom, and shes determined it's a full tear out down to studs, move plumbing, new electrical, the whole bit. She claims she will do it all but the plumbing and electrical, which she'll hire out to family who are in trades. And she'll learn a lot and be done by July.....

This is after getting what I considered to be a very competitive bid from a trusted local professional who will handle it from start to finish. I mean, I can do this work myself based on past experience, but that was a long time ago when I was broke and had the energy, and I hated it, and I did a lot of shit wrong I'm sure. But I sold that house and can't confirm if it's still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Holy NaCl blowout!

FWIW, I am not advocating for a universal unsalted butter ban, I just think it tastes better on toast (50% of my butter intake). Unsalted butter is banned at my house, I'm not coming to yours for an inspection. Except maybe TahoeJ's house cause he got real bent about my comment about dinner rolls and grilled cheeses. Relax bud, my daughter had a grilled cheese yesterday, it's not that lowly of a food. Dinner rolls though? Fuck these tasteless choke-inducing imitations of a brioche. As far as fancy restaurants and fancy chefs, well, pros will be pros, meaning quirky opinionated fuckers. I know that in France there are establishments of a certain level where there is not salt on the table. The seasoning is an integral part of the dish and fuck you if you're gonna change it once the chef's decided how it's gonna be. That's silly IMO, but I don't have a Michelin start so wtf do I know. I'm content using recipes that call for a pinch of salt and moving on. Salt intake is going down at the house these days since I'm a serious fan but don't want to start early on stressing out my daughter's kidneys. Salted butter makes for a nice salty baseline and I'm content not supplementing.

Now carry on being mad about seasoning while I go polish my 3 car seats.
    Ahh, but what kind of cheese(s) on the grilled cheese. I make mine with Monterey Jack, feta, and the secret ingredient--sugar (substitute). I'm sure in your house neither of those cheeses is allowed.

How do you feel about ketchup? (To be fair, the best French fries I've had were with mayo. That was in Brussels.)

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    My wife and I have an inside joke that the three sweetest words you can say to your spouse are "you were right," not "I love you"
    Not sure if in this thread but I recall a brilliant saying I often remind myself of before speaking “do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy”

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Slap her on the ass, ask for a sammich, and affectionately call her bitch. Report back.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Ahh, but what kind of cheese(s) on the grilled cheese. I make mine with Monterey Jack, feta, and the secret ingredient--sugar (substitute). I'm sure in your house neither of those cheeses is allowed.

How do you feel about ketchup? (To be fair, the best French fries I've had were with mayo. That was in Brussels.)
    Manchego makes a great grilled cheese, especially with a smear of pesto on the inside. Sugar or sugar substitute? GTFO.

Ketchup is a staple in a lot of restaurants, it can add umami to a lot of things with just a little amount.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

That is NOT a Grilled Cheese sammy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I believe sharp white cheddar was used, on bread rubbed with aioli. I liked it. No ketchup, I don't touch the stuff, even home made. Too sweet for me, and after having made a batch myself (and realizing you waste 90% of the tomato matter to make the thing concentrated enough) I'm fully opposed. Fries with mayo all day long, Ms Boissal thinks it's barbaric, can't imagine putting anything else on there.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Manchego makes a great grilled cheese, especially with a smear of pesto on the inside. Sugar or sugar substitute? GTFO.
    Ketchup is a staple in a lot of restaurants, it can add umami to a lot of things with just a little amount.
    I've done Manchego + pesto sammies, glorious.
    Ketchup as a source of umami seems weird. Too strong a competing flavor with the tomato IMO.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

While my ex wasn't a "psychic" per se, but rather a psychO, this sketch with the always hilarious Nikki Howard hit waaaaaaay too close to home. More than once, she lost her damned mind about me dream cheating on her. I'm talking full on rage-fueled meltdowns. Anybody else ever been here with your (perhaps now ex) ladies?

At least once a week I do Poulet au Vinegare in the style of Lyon ( watch it on you tube) by Jaques Pepin a world renowned french chef

start in a cold pan it does not matter, some olives i you like, part of the recipe is 2 squirts of Ketchup and a squirt of hot sauce

BTW my neighbor the world class the bike coach calls those freedom fries " frites " recommends frites and beer to recover
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

While my ex wasn't a "psychic" per se, but rather a psychO, this sketch with the always hilarious Nikki Howard hit waaaaaaay too close to home. More than once, she lost her damned mind about me dream cheating on her. I'm talking full on rage-fueled meltdowns. Anybody else ever been here with your (perhaps now ex) ladies?

yeah, she believes you must be thinking about other women but yer just a simple man so you arent thinking about anything at all
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

While my ex wasn't a "psychic" per se, but rather a psychO, this sketch with the always hilarious Nikki Howard hit waaaaaaay too close to home. More than once, she lost her damned mind about me dream cheating on her. I'm talking full on rage-fueled meltdowns.
    This is psychotic behavior. Good job getting outta that.

I love my wife and all, but Jesus Hercules Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I think I complained earlier about projects that my wife takes on, slowly completes to 85% , and then abandons all together? Well, shes decided to remodel the bathroom, and shes determined it's a full tear out down to studs, move plumbing, new electrical, the whole bit. She claims she will do it all but the plumbing and electrical, which she'll hire out to family who are in trades. And she'll learn a lot and be done by July.....

This is after getting what I considered to be a very competitive bid from a trusted local professional who will handle it from start to finish. I mean, I can do this work myself based on past experience, but that was a long time ago when I was broke and had the energy, and I hated it, and I did a lot of shit wrong I'm sure. But I sold that house and can't confirm if it's still intact.
    This is a classic move. Instead of asking you to do a project they do it themselves, then quit at the point where there’s no going back so you have to finish it.

Hard pass on mayo with fries but a mayo based “aioli” is where it’s at (quotes because real aioli doesn’t have mayo), especially with sweet potato fries.

My ex would get mad at me for things I did in her dreams. Fucking psycho behavior.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Can we talk about which way the paper towel goes on the roller?

On a Treadmill?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Problem solved.

I may have posted this before, but my wife and I engaged in a silent war with the TP. I always install a new roll the correct way, coming over the top, she typically installed the wrong way. One day I was feeling exceptionally bold and brought it up in conversation and she said she had never noticed and had never thought about it. And there's the difference between men and women

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Problem solved.
    That roll is installed upside-down.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I may have posted this before, but my wife and I engaged in a silent war with the TP. I always install a new roll the correct way, coming over the top, she typically installed the wrong way. One day I was feeling exceptionally bold and brought it up in conversation and she said she had never noticed and had never thought about it. And there's the difference between men and women
    Not sure that's true. Because I put the TP on the roll however it happens to be in my hand... and have also never thought about it.