Check Out Our Shop
Page 386 of 390 FirstFirst ... 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 LastLast
Results 9,626 to 9,650 of 9741
    No lie, a walk in dog wash in the garage (along with his/her garages) are a high end detail I entirely approve of and find highly desirable.

I like this his/her garage idea of which you speak.
    Like a two car garage. But a wall to separate her piles of shit from your orderly collection of tools and sporting goods.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    No lie, a walk in dog wash in the garage (along with his/her garages) are a high end detail I entirely approve of and find highly desirable.
    Having owned Great Danes since I was 19, I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I first did outside hot and cold during a remodel in 1999. Homeowner wanted an outside shower so I built a ground platform and screening out of cedar and a hanging shower assembly with washer hoses attached for summer use. Three more since then for people who like showering under the stars.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Is there a rough rule for demo costs as a percent of the total budget?

No.

Although I can probably estimate the cost of the tacos I demolish from the truck next to HD as a percent of total budget.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

No, depends on the project. For interior finish, it runs about 10%.

Tear downs, 1%

Remediations, 50%

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

The rule for demo is diy. wtf. It’s fun.
    I’ve just decided to be a middle aged somewhat depressed somewhat anxious fucktard until the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    The rule for demo is diy. wtf. It’s fun.
    I think this is in relation to a potential commercial investment property?

On the homo side..."Can I do the demo" "sure, call me when its done and we can talk...have you ever done any residential deconstruction, to you have any knowledge of plumbing, electrical or structural?" "No, but my wives watches the shows on TV and says in looks fun and its supposed to be easy" "good luck!"

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post

On the homo side..."Can I do the demo" "sure, call me when its done and we can talk...have you ever done any residential deconstruction, to you have any knowledge of plumbing, electrical or structural?" "No, but my wives watches the shows on TV and says in looks fun and its supposed to be easy" "good luck!"
    Yep.

I had a girlfriend that watched those shows. She enthusiastically asked if she could help me demo a condo I was gutting. Sure, here's some gloves and a crowbar, have at it. Fifteen minutes later, "that TV demo is bullshit, this sucks, bye"
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

I run into it all the time.
    Owner, "Can we take down that wall?".
    Me, "Well, it doesn't look structural so you should be good there..."
    Owner, "Great, we're going to start swinging right now", "
    Me, "...but you see that light switch and those outlets, and I'm pretty sure there's a vent running through that, what are you going to do about those?..
    Owner, "Huh??"

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I think this is in relation to a potential commercial investment property?
    Currently a four story mixed use. My use case would be primary residence on top with commercial below. Residential makes sense on the middle floors long-term. The building is over 100 years old, has asbestos insulation, almost certainly asbestos floor tile, could need significant work along a load bearing basement wall, and has generally been limped along for years. It's a horrible idea but I'm not dissuaded. Yet.

Another challenge on the remodel side is that you really need to complete de-construction (that is the better term) to finalize your scope of work.

Often, I emphasize this by making my customers execute contracts. "I'm gonna take this all apart, you are gonna pay me, and then we move forward". People want to show up to the initial site visit with a pretty picture of a bathroom "We are not there yet".

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Although I can probably estimate the cost of the tacos I demolish from the truck next to HD as a percent of total budget.
    Is this a line item?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Is this a line item?
    Ass grass or ass gas

Nobody builds for free.

Finishing another project. Fkna shits expensive these days. Been doing too much work myself based on price and subs not doing what they should.
    I hate those tv shows when a whole house is gut remodeled in two weeks. wtf. Lying asshats.

Random one…

I bought and assembled a cheap home depot playhouse for my daughter.

It’s built out of panels made of small lap sawn cedar. Like 1/2”x3”. So it’s pretty flimsy.

I am trying to make it last - so I built a deck for it to sit on so it’s not in the mud…. I added some 90 corner braces…

I want to upgrade the roof - it’s just that same cedar material. Make this thing actually water tight. But minimal effort. Putting 70#s of three ply on it doesn’t make sense… smearing on some liquid applied roofing will look like shit….

So my thought is to take some sort of exterior grade - waterproof paint product (in black), mix it with sand for texture, and roll it on. What am I looking for? A deck paint? Oil based? Garage floor / concrete paint? Hopefully something that comes in a a quart - this thing is not big….

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Have you considered a blue tarp?

Random one…

It’s built out of panels made of small lap sawn cedar. Like 1/2”x3”. So it’s pretty flimsy.

I am trying to make it last - so I built a deck for it to sit on so it’s not in the mud…. I added some 90 corner braces…

I want to upgrade the roof - it’s just that same cedar material. Make this thing actually water tight. But minimal effort. Putting 70#s of three ply on it doesn’t make sense… smearing on some liquid applied roofing will look like shit….

So my thought is to take some sort of exterior grade - waterproof paint product (in black), mix it with sand for texture, and roll it on. What am I looking for? A deck paint? Oil based? Garage floor / concrete paint? Hopefully something that comes in a a quart - this thing is not big….

Why not just get a sheet of metal roofing and slap it over top?

Should I move my question to the “I love my wife and all…” thread or straight to the “Tammy W” thread….

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Should I move my question to the “I love my wife and all…” thread or straight to the “Tammy W” thread….

It’s an east coast upstate blue tarp thing.

Me? I would do flexseal or RV sealant paint. Thick rubbery and waterproof.

PS. All those cheap Chinese playhouse swing sets aren’t cedar. It’s crappy Chinese pine that rots before the kids outgrow the set.

Random one…

Silicone based elastomeric roof coating.
    Don't think a qt. will be enough though

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Random one…

If the playhouse is anything like our flimsy lowes offerin, I’d bet it moves quite a bit while being played on. So any liquid applied sealant would have to remain very flexible and stand up to uv/moss/weather. I like the metal idea but my kids grab onto every corner of the playhouse even the roof, and metal might have sharp edges.

One more possibility - epdm/vinyl sheet or whatever waterproof membrane you can get (blue tarp might work for a year or two) attached to the underside of the roof. Hold it in place with battens screwed around the perimeter. This would keep the original look but add to the weather resistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Installing a new cooktop and all modern units are slightly larger than my granite cutout. Looking to take 3/4” off in both directions. I have an angle grinder with 4-1/2” shroud. Is this a diy project for someone with decent woodworking and construction skills or better left to the pros? Any tips/tricks?

2-ply!