Check Out Our Shop
Page 550 of 899 FirstFirst ... 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 ... LastLast
Results 13,726 to 13,750 of 22457
    ^^^^ exact same spot slid about 5-6 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Now reporting the victim has died. RIP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffney10 View Post
    Now reporting the victim has died. RIP!!
    Ah S#!+. I did not need to read this. CO and UT are depressing enough. I came over here to see some negative and single digit temp 'stoke'. smh

On Sunday at 11:44 a.m., a pair of splitboarders triggered an avalanche in Beehive Basin north of Big Sky. They were skinning up the slope when they felt the slope collapse and saw cracks spreading around them. One of them fought to grab trees and self-arrested. The avalanche carried the second rider downslope where he impacted a tree, was partially buried, and sustained critical injuries. The rider who was able to escape the avalanche activated Search and Rescue by calling 911 and descended the slope to provide care to his partner. Big Sky and Gallatin County Search and Rescue evacuated the injured rider and transferred care to Big Sky Fire Department and Life Flight. Sadly, last night the rider who was partially buried died from injuries sustained in the avalanche. Our sincere, heartfelt condolences go to the family and friends of those involved. Alex and Doug will go to the scene today, and we will provide more information in the coming days.
    Name:  Left side of crown closeup.JPG
Views: 1252
Size:  21.5 KBName:  Heli shorthauling rescuers_0.JPG
Views: 978
Size:  14.8 KBName:  Avalanche from air.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  16.8 KB

I would like to wait for the full report but.

There used to be a very safe route to access the ridge line for this area. It involved a neighborhood under development of Mcmansions right next to USFS land and near Wilderness.

The neighborhood didn't like all the skinners in their neighborhood so they posted the area Private Property, (It is).

The current route is not a very safe route.

https://www.mtavalanche.com/index.php/node/24274

RIP
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^the old skinner to the looker's right is now posted and inaccessible? fuck, i didn't know that.

There is still a way that skirts the Private land but it isn't obvious so most people put the track in a less good place.

I think this also occurred near the same zone.

https://www.mtavalanche.com/sites/de...rt%20Jan08.pdf
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Shit. I thought that was the same spot. If it started where I think there's a shallow rocky spot on a small convexity that always bothered me. I used to go the way Bunion talked about and if going into bear basin would take a variation on that old route. I was working at a place through the gate at lower TH at least 10-12 yrs ago and that slope slid and partially buried a party as well.

RIP splitboarder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

That’s the incident I was remembering. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

dammit.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Thanks for sharing this report. I had conflated the incident detailed in the link with another non-fatal slide incident in Beehive Basin a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Hard to tell from the photos but I do think that's in the same spot that killed Tyler. That accident really woke my group up as we regularly skied those trees

.......sigh
    ++++ vibes to the Montana tribes

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Heartbreaking.

I looked at the spot on the Montana avalanche page, and it looks to be quite far up the basin. The spot I think we are all thinking/talking of is near the going home chute or the prayer flag chute, correct?

Sad to hear about that. Is that the first fatality in MT this year?

Today at BS was a nice welcome for our first day on the slopes. Didn't venture to challenger today, but hoping it's now filled in enough that you don't have to be on guard the entire time.

Yeah today at the Really Big was excellent. Uncrowded and short tram line all afternoon, free refills. So fun.

RIP to the boarder. Very sad.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yeah today at the Really Big was excellent. Uncrowded and short tram line all afternoon, free refills. So fun.
    Another two inches of fluff has fallen since 3:30 PM and still sifting down. Tomorrow should be another good one at the Big Pig.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post

RIP to the boarder. Very sad.
    Looked reasonable mid-afternoon when I saw it. What was the wait time? I'm not a good judge anymore since I don't know covid capacity. Snowing nicley currently near the corral.

Sad times for the bozo/ big sky community at large. Sounds like he was a stand up guy. That part of the slope is a repeat offender and should be mentally flagged by all that frequent the backcountry. Condolences to friends/ family/ coworkers/ and the countless others that are directly impacted by this event.

It's hard in the backcountry game to lose a life, but learn a nugget. We have to remember the situations, places, snowpacks, and decisions to not only memorialze but more importantly learn from those we've lost.

foR.ever I.ndulge in P.owder.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Fall Line Will Set You Free

I cross posted this in Slide Zone. Here is a video of the accident site.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I looked at the spot on the Montana avalanche page, and it looks to be quite far up the basin. The spot I think we are all thinking/talking of is near the going home chute or the prayer flag chute, correct?
    No idea of any of the names up there.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-02-15 Splitboarder triggered, caught and killed in Beehive Gallatin National For.png
Views: 987
Size:  709.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Heli Landing.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	363159

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    Yes, this accident was further up the drainage. I was tempted to say something to the effect earlier but didn't want to come off as an obtuse know-it-all. As USDA said, it is a repeat offender. Bad aspect, holding a thin, cross-loaded snow pack that is usually rotten at the ground. When I lived in Gateway and skied through and out of Beehive to the back of beyond on the regular I'd cringe at the tracks in that entire area. Seen many a crown there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Sad to hear about that. Is that the first fatality in MT this year?
    Avalanche yes, backcountry skiing/snowboarding no. There was a woman who fell on the great on in Nov and passed.