Check Out Our Shop
Page 1657 of 1658 FirstFirst ... 1652 1653 1654 1655 1656 1657 1658 LastLast
Results 41,401 to 41,425 of 41436
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Gondi though this weekend and Da Jane until atleast Memorial Day is what I'm hearing.

Excellent is right. MJ and A-Basin late season….alright alright alright.

Pete reminds me I should probably wax my skis, though - that low-down sticky mush can be a bitch.

Still pretty bogus that breck decided to close yesterday, the coverage is so good especially compared to last year where they stayed open longer. Should've at least done the 19th

Why would Breck care? Nobody is buying day tickets, taking lessons, booking VR lodging, and F&B sales are not as high as desired. So why operate the lifts and pay the patrollers/groomers? It's not like Vail Resorts cares about providing skiing to day tripping and local passholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

or keeping quality employees on staff…

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    Why would Breck care?
    Well, there is a bit of a pass war going on and right now the score is Ikon 2, Epic 0. If it adds to the perception that Vail is cheap and doesn't care about skiing, it matters- even for buyers with no intention of skiing in the spring. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Well, there is a bit of a pass war going on and right now the score is Ikon 2, Epic 0. If it adds to the perception that Vail is cheap and doesn't care about skiing, it matters- even for buyers with no intention of skiing in the spring. IMO.
    That is a long term move sir. MTN is only 5% above the one year low but 20% off the 1 year high.

Think of the quarterly reports! Won't someone think of the quarterly earnings?!!!

Just wait unti, they decide to close the resorts on non-holiday/break Mon/Tues as a cost cutting measure! Investors will love it! Keystone is leading the way on this in the Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Pete reminds me I should probably wax my skis, though - that low-down sticky mush can be a bitch.
    If saturday was any indication, give em a buff, it was borderline unpleasant in spots

Why would Breck care? Nobody is buying day tickets, taking lessons, booking VR lodging, and F&B sales are not as high as desired. So why operate the lifts and pay the patrollers/groomers? It's not like Vail Resorts cares about providing skiing to day tripping and local passholders.
    No shit Sherlock. Can’t we just be bummed about it and say it’s lame? God damn. Haha

Yeah, by that logic the ski areas should only be open Thanksgiving to Easter.

We got through it, but the places with larger summer operations have year around staff that are getting paid, they may as well run the lift.

Winter Park is kind of a unique thing where they can run the Super G while getting the Park Side ready for summer.

I know it is cool to rage on the ski area but you can't have it both ways. The value proposition is too good so the Pow Days last 3 minutes because everyone has a pass and a flex schedule but also the value proposition sucks because they close too early even though nobody goes?

We are all replaceable. Once the product is refined to our liking, most of use won't be able to afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboocoreONLY View Post
    No shit Sherlock. Can’t we just be bummed about it and say it’s lame? God damn. Haha
    all the real hardcore old tymie locals want you to embrace the suck that is called May
    fuck the month of may fuck corporate overlord ski area owners this place sucks

...Just wait unti, they decide to close the resorts on non-holiday/break Mon/Tues as a cost cutting measure! ...
    Ikon is already doing this with certain chairs/lift at resorts throughout their portfolio.

With warm nights, 9-930am today was prime corn time at 11.5k on Indian peaks east/NE slopes… fyi.
    But the ridge winds were ripping so hard that blew one of my skis 1/4 down the slope! Fortunately it tomahawked in and we found it pretty quickly. Woulda been an ugly slog out on one ski - phew. That was a new one for me… I had em top sides up and pressed into the snow but a gust got under one tip and launched it!

I once set my xc skis and poles on the flat ground in the brainard winter lot and all 4 pieces of equipment instantly blew about 50 ft across the lot. IPW gusts no joke.

Yikes, yeah that place can just rip. Funny, at the lot yesterday it was dead still, but the low clouds were cruising past

Amazing conditions at A-Basin today. Such great coverage too. Hope the melt is slow.

Condolences...what a shitty thing to happen to what seems like a guy who really loved what he did where he did it
    https://coloradosun.com/2024/05/16/e...r-killed-tree/

Put a fork in the Gondi....I hope that continues next year. Great coverage top to bottom. Nobody there. I think they must have been salting. It skied so good. Lets hope for the same over at The Jane. Open through Memorial Day at least.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteDee View Post
    Condolences...what a shitty thing to happen to what seems like a guy who really loved what he did where he did it
    https://coloradosun.com/2024/05/16/e...r-killed-tree/
    missed this, dam. RIP

i feel like there was a ski areas getting sued thread but I can't find it and this thread is kind of a catch-all sometimes, so...

Thoughts from the lawyers and wannabe lawyers on the ski area liability issues that this recent decision might affect? https://coloradosun.com/2024/05/21/c...rs-negligence/

By all accounts the liftie fucked up and should have stopped the lift, so from that standpoint Vail should be liable. On the other hand, Vail runs their resorts with lawyers killing the fun all over the place, so that's kind of scary

Next year Vail Resorts will be adding some Euro Pisteur/Gendarmerie to Ski Patrol:

"You must use ze safety bar on ze lift or you vill be shot... er... hot list ze pass ja?"

I'd be surprised if it has a big impact. The Ski Safety Act is very protective of resorts, but it largely applies to on-the-snow stuff. If you hit a tree or anything made out of snow (even if people piled up the snow there), any claim against the resort is a nonstarter.

As explained in the article, the tramway safety act governs things like ski lifts. And as I understand the decision, it's saying that you can waive liability for regular old negligence, but you can't get people to waive your liability for violations of the tramway safety act. That's a pretty narrow window - it means the only way this claim against CB survives is if the plaintiffs can prove that CB violated the tramway safety act somehow. I'm not familiar enough with the act or its requirements to say how likely that is.

Jane closed on Memorial Day. Forecast to be sunny. Could be a great day.

I gotta say, the corn today was the best I've skied in years. It seems like it's so hard to get anymore. Get it fast before the brown frown reappears.